Monday, May 20, 2019

The Promise: Never Alone!

Image from agnusday.org

Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me. "I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, "I am going away, and I am coming to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe. I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me; but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us be on our way. (John 14:23-29 NRSV)

Happy Monday, dear Friend! May the blessings of the Lord be with you on this first day of the work week is my prayer for you. Please spend time in prayer this day, and pray for one another, and pray for yourselves.

At precisely two p.m. every day, during my childhood, my Mom would turn on the local Kingsville radio station. "Ave Maria" would play and a somber voice would begin to share the names of those who had died the previous day and earlier that morning. Also, around that time, men on both sides of the street would deliver what were called, in Spanish, esqueletas, or death notices. It was like an invitation to a funeral. Such is the scene in which this passage takes place. Jesus has just announced to the disciples that He was to be killed. That death notice did not sit well with the 12, especially Peter. This chapter is Jesus' loving response to their grief and wonder. The overall is the title of today's passage; A Promise: Never Alone. The main fear of many parents before dying is the fear that their children may feel alone, and likewise the children on hearing of a parents' terminal illness, fear of the days when Mom or Dad would be no more. Jesus' promise is the coming of the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, "Who will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you." And at the end of it comes the promise of peace, the kind of peace that is unmatched by anything the world could possibly offer. What stays with me is that promise that we are never alone. It is interesting to note that Jesus speaks of the coming of "the ruler of this world," but who has "no power over me." And yes, it is Satan and Satan never sleeps and will not sleep until he thinks he has us where he wants us. If we honestly reflect on where we have come and how we are, for lack of a better word, progressing, Jesus was not wrong. His command? Stay faithful and close. And do not worry about a thing. We know how this all ends. Stay in love with the Father!

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, let us claim the promise that we are never alone, for there are times when it does seem that way or awfully close, but Lord sustain us and hold us up when we feel faint. For those whose parents are ill, bring comfort and peace; if it be Your will, bring healing and life. But we remember that death is sometimes the ultimate healing that could come to us or our loved ones. Lord, be gloried in us. This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be the Church today that shows the love for God and all of God's people!

Blessings of Love,

Eradio Valverde