Tuesday, May 28, 2019

We Have to Do Laundry in Heaven?

Image from realtor.com

"See, I am coming soon; my reward is with me, to repay according to everyone's work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates. "It is I, Jesus, who sent my angel to you with this testimony for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star." The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let everyone who hears say, "Come." And let everyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who wishes take the water of life as a gift. The one who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen. (Revelation 22:12-14, 16-17, 20-21)

I pray you are enjoying a tremendous Tuesday, dear Friend! I had the special opportunity to anoint Doug Smith with oil and to pray for him. He had asked that I anoint his head with oil in accordance with James 5. As I drove and prayed on the way there, the Lord gave me words about how the baptismal waters covered him at his baptism as a mark of his belonging to Jesus, and when Doug received Him as Lord and Savior, Doug was covered in the Blood of Jesus as a mark of washed sins taken away. The oil symbolizes the fact that ultimate healing belongs to God and God's will for Doug. I ask you please continue to pray for him. We ask that God's will be done, and that His merciful love be with him, Autumn, Sam, Owen, and Ainsley. Pray for one another, and pray for yourselves.

In 1971 I was dropped off at Lon Morris College. I had been well instructed by my Mom as to the ins and outs of laundry. I knew that I was not to wash my whites with the colors. I had seen plenty of pink undershirts on friends and knew that was the result of trying to save money by washing all clothes together. I lived on the second floor just down the hall from the dorm laundry room. I quickly learned that a favorite prank in this all-male dorm was to load the dryer with the recycled aluminum cans at about 1:30 or 2 a.m., put in the quarter and run. The sound was terrible and woke up all the second floor residents. Some of the guys chose to drive to a full-service laundromat. The guy who invited me to go with him said it was easiest to leave the laundry with the girls who worked there, as they would wash, dry, and fold the laundry. I have to admit that I felt like Kevin McAllister in Home Alone 2 and was reluctant to let anyone, especially unknown girls to see my laundry! So, the verse that jumped out at me as I read the text for today was that verse, "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates."

Now before you go to the store to load up on heavenly detergent, here's the truth behind that verse. Jesus is coming back, and no one knows exactly when; "soon" is what most biblical texts written by Paul in his earlier works, and other epistle writers, including John, who wrote this, believe. When He comes, He is bringing with Him the reward with which He will pay us according to our lives and our life's work. He reminds us that He is the beginning and the end of all things. In Him we will find eternal life and love. The "washing" of our robes means have we loved Jesus enough to keep His commandments? If we do, our forgiveness is the washing of our robes. All filth, sin, doubt, trespass, etc. is washed away by the Lord. That's the extent of laundry we'll have to do. And as the Lord says, with clean robes, we will have access to the tree of life (eternal life) and we will be allowed entry into the city through the front gates.

In Christ Jesus we have our the life and source of our lives. In Christ we also have our lives after this life. He is "the bright morning star," who invites us to the fullness of life in Heaven. The invitation includes the promise of finding the satisfaction of our thirst, and life in God's realm forever. And John heard the one who testifies on Jesus' behalf say, "Surely I am coming soon." John responds as we should as well, "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!" God's grace is with all who believe and give witness to that faith.

PRAYER: Lord, we say it every time we take Communion. Jesus will come again. Come now into our hearts and fill us with your love. Grant us hope and joy. Bless those for whom we are praying. Let our lives bring honor, glory and witness to You and Your promises to us. This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Live a life that washes your robe.

Blessings of love,

Eradio Valverde