Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Follow Our Shepherd!

Image from Youtube.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/2W3ED3N

19 What counts is that you put up with it for God's sake when you're treated badly for no good reason. 20 There's no particular virtue in accepting punishment that you well deserve. But if you're treated badly for good behavior and continue in spite of it to be a good servant, that is what counts with God. 21 This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step-by-step. 22 He never did one thing wrong, Not once said anything amiss. 23 They called him every name in the book and he said nothing back. He suffered in silence, content to let God set things right. 24 He used his servant body to carry our sins to the Cross so we could be rid of sin, free to live the right way. His wounds became your healing. 25 You were lost sheep with no idea who you were or where you were going. Now you're named and kept for good by the Shepherd of your souls. (1 Peter 2:19-25 The Message)

What was the worst job you've ever had? I mean, all jobs are good, but some are not as good as others; and quite honestly, some are just plain nasty. I was blessed to have Houston as my summer home, for I could attend college in a tiny East Texas town like Jacksonville and return home to get whatever job I could to have some spending money. The best summer job was one summer when I got to work at the same place as my Dad. I worked with a marvelous man who taught me a couple of Czech words. He was patient and caring and had a sense of humor that allowed me to make him laugh a lot. I think he was amazed that a young man of Mexican descent could do an English accent that I had learned from a live record (kids, ask your grandparents) from England. The worst job was, besides some SPRC, church council, and finance committee meetings, was the summer I worked with a Houston company that made fiberglass fan covers for huge industrial fans. My boss warned me that I would not be able to sleep the rest of the summer because the fiberglass bits would get into my skin and I would itch beyond tolerance. And he was right. Even now as I write about it I can feel the last of the bits inside of me starting to move just for the heck of it! I considered the jobs as blessings; some blessed me in wonderful ways. The fiberglass experience was enough to affirm my being in college as the best decision I had ever made. I pray for those who still work in such jobs; may God continue to bless them, and forgive people like me who sought other employment the next summer.

Peter is writing to those who found their lives worse than a job with fiberglass. He was writing to those who faced losing their lives for being believers in Jesus Christ. Those who were not killed suffered way beyond human decency. Peter says that our call, as believers, is to be good servants, for "that is what counts with God." In fact, Peter continues, "This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came His way so you would know that if could be done." Hear that again, you and I have been invited to be a part of the same life as Jesus Christ. Not a life of privilege and position, but of service and sacrifice; of putting others and their needs first, of caring enough to respect others and care for them, setting examples of love and compassion instead of being just like everyone else. I remember learning, as an MYFer, the MYF benediction that closed with a simple but powerful phrase, "Christ above all." So, can we live a life that really means that? The answer is, of course! We did not sign up for easy, we signed up for love and service. A life that models Jesus and the way Jesus lived and served.

Hear this as well; "You were lost sheep with no idea who you were or where you were going." My hand is raised as affirming that that is true. "Now you're named and kept for good by the Shepherd of your souls. (Follow your shepherd!).

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, we rejoice that in You we have found our way. We have found our true name, and we have meaning and purpose for ourselves, and as such, for others. We do not like being lost sheep; we have our new name in You and being kept by You for good, as You are our Shepherd of our souls. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Find a way to show others you have found your way in Jesus!

Receive my blessings of joy and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde