Tuesday, April 07, 2020

The Hour is Now Here...

Image from hamptonroadschurch.com

Hear Here: https://bit.ly/3aRWnW5

20 Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the festival. 21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus. 23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. 27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!”Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. 30 Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” 33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die. 34 The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?” 35 Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. 36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them. (John 12:20-28)

A blessed and safe Tuesday to you, dear Friend! Do you remember playing or your kids playing the Oregon Trail? We ventured early into the world of computing by buying an Apple IIe through a program called An Apple for the Teacher, which my wife, Nellie, was eligible. It was the greatest thing! Up to this point, an electric typewriter blessed my thoughts and I finally had one through marriage. In my work, getting sent to my first full-time church, they had an electric typewriter as well; the following year as campus minister, I had an IBM Selectric! It even came with an additional font ball that allowed me to insert italics into my letters and bulletins! That was tall cotton! But, my girls played the Oregon Trail, an adventure game that led families from the East to Oregon. Along the way the family would encounter the challenges and realities of the day but ultimately, they would make it to Oregon! Well, today HEB finally delivered an order of groceries we placed three weeks ago! I felt like the Valverde Family had made it to Oregon, having battled the Coronavirus plague! "We're pioneers!" I exclaimed to a confused family. Sigh, the joys and lows of this self-isolation. (John 12:20-36 NRSV)

I have a deeper appreciation for the Greek people having been blessed to tour their country and the footsteps of the Apostle Paul some months ago. I always knew them to be deeply committed to learning and exploring, and that trip among their beautiful country reinforced that. And today's passage reinforces it even more; Greeks hungry for knowledge and for answers, know that in God they had found life and the meaning of life behind it through the teachings of Judaism; but they had heard about Jesus and wanted to meet Him. This triggers an interesting thing among Philip, and Andrew, and Jesus. Jesus surprises them with a truth that would come true this Friday. "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." Jesus saw His coming death as a means to glorify God. It would be a painful, difficult death, but Jesus saw what would come from it. Jesus saw glory and honor coming to His Father through His death. And He also saw how His death would also bring others to know about God because of it. Jesus loved God more than He loved His own life. And He says that very thing to those listening; "Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." Please be clear that Jesus is not advocating suicide. What He is saying is that those who love their life and are afraid to die and would go to any lengths to save their life may end up losing their life forever. Their love for God must surpass the love they have for their own life, and if giving up their life to save someone else's presents itself, we must not hold back. It was not easy for Jesus to face His death. Jesus shares with those around Him how troubled His soul was. And He made the prayer He lifted up one of asking God to glorify His name at which point a voice from Heaven says, "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again." Some thought it was thunder; others that an angel had spoken. Jesus knew it was Dad speaking to Him. And onward Jesus proceeded. For your sake, and for mine. Jesus counted it a glorious victory to take our place on the cross and to give His life so that we might have life.

This Tuesday of Holy Week, may you count it as your pleasure and privilege to share Jesus in your own way with those around you. This may mean the ones who are sharing the quarantine with you, or you can pick up the phone and send a loving message of concern to those whom you know are alone and in need. This is not a time to be quiet about our faith; quite the contrary, many need what we have, and may we have enough to share with others.

PRAYER: Loving God, as we pray, we pray for those who are alone right now. We pray for the elderly who find themselves in a nursing home or rehab facility without family or friends who can come and visit like they once did. Father, lift their spirits and bless those who work among them. Bless the doctors, nurses, technicians, and all who staff the hospitals. Bless with healing those who are ill, especially those who suffer this serious illness. Comfort those who have lost loved ones as a result of this virus. And Lord, we pray especially for those who are laboring to find a cure and a vaccine. Grant them knowledge and peace so that they may find that soon. Bless the life and household of this dear reader. All this we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. Be a blessing to those around you!

Receive my blessings of health, joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde

PS. I continue to urge you to keep your distance from others, keep washing your hands in a thorough manner, do not touch your face, and follow all the other precautions that have been shared with us out of concern for us. Stay safe so that you can stay longer among us!