Thursday, April 09, 2020

The Food of Our Souls

Image from en.wikipedia.org

The Devotional read here: https://bit.ly/2RnR9dc

7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. 8 So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover meal for us that we may eat it." 9 They asked him, "Where do you want us to make preparations for it?" 10 "Listen," he said to them, "when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him into the house he enters 11 and say to the owner of the house, "The teacher asks you, "Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?" ' 12 He will show you a large room upstairs, already furnished. Make preparations for us there." 13 So they went and found everything as he had told them; and they prepared the Passover meal. 14 When the hour came, he took his place at the table, and the apostles with him. 15 He said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I tell you, I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 17 Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he said, "Take this and divide it among yourselves; 18 for I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes." 19 Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 20 And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. 21 But see, the one who betrays me is with me, and his hand is on the table. 22 For the Son of Man is going as it has been determined, but woe to that one by whom he is betrayed!" 23 Then they began to ask one another which one of them it could be who would do this. 24 A dispute also arose among them as to which one of them was to be regarded as the greatest. (Luke 22:7-24 NRSV)

This is Maundy Thursday, dear Friend. It would prove to be a night like none before it, save for the actual Passover Night. It was for that reason that the disciples thought they were gathering with us. It was like that special November Thursday in The US of A, where we gather to eat, give thanks, eat, visit with family, eat, visit with friends, eat, watch football, and eat. For the Jews, it was a night of worship and giving thanks, and a meal that reminded them of that first Passover. The ritual would begin with the youngest person present asking, "Why is this night different from any other night?" and the worship would begin. Jesus would make this night different from any other night by what He did and said. Needless to say, it caught the disciples by surprise.

It was several years ago that a group of campus ministers and I were having dinner in Nashville while attending a national meeting. Everyone of the people at our table confessed that they had not eaten in a restaurant until they were in high school, and the joke was that our children probably would not have a home-cooked meal until they were in high school. I was the odd one there because I had had one meal with my Dad in a restaurant while accompanying him as he made his rounds as a milk and ice cream delivery man. I wish I could remember the entire conversation but I just remember that it was so meaningful to be one on one with my father enjoying a meal in a nice restaurant. I ordered what my Dad ordered, a smothered steak, which I thought was simply a hamburger patty with some nice gravy on it. It was a very special connectional meal. My heart touched my dad's heart. It was a meal more for my soul than for my body.

This only recently made sense to me and connected me to the meal that was held this night with Jesus and His disciples. The meal was the same seder meal of bitter herbs, roasted lamb, unleavened bread, and wine. The disciples clearly remembered the conversation because it veered away from the tradition. Yes, John Mark, the youngest of the disciples probably asked the question; it was answered but then Jesus made it His meal. Jesus took the cup and explained that He had long desired to celebrate the Passover with them before His coming suffering; and that He would not eat it until it was fulfilled in the kingdom of God. Jesus takes the bread and breaks it and gives it to them and says, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." Jesus takes the cup and says, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." The elements that played a partial part of the Passover become the main elements of what we now call Holy Communion or The Lord's Supper. It's a connectional meal. It's a sacred moment, thus the fact that it is one of the two sacraments we have; Christ connecting with us as we surrender to Him our sin, and He forgives us of our sins. This supper serves as a memorial of what Jesus did; of what He does while we celebrate and receive it; and speaks of what is yet to come; the great banquet with Jesus in Glory.

It was interesting to read that John Wesley called this meal, the food of our souls. And he believed that it was the duty of every Christian believer to take part in this feast. Wesley also begins one of his sermons by calling out those who avoid taking Communion for fear they would be violating the meaning behind it as warned in 1 Corinthians 11:29; but Wesley says, the biggest fear for those should be a fear of not taking part in it. Wesley also said that the words shared by Jesus were his "dying words" and as such we should lovingly comply with the invitation given by Jesus to all to come and take part. The benefits include the strengthening and refreshing of our souls. This was the night Jesus said sin death would be passed over by God's grace in order to give us life in abundance.

The supper ends with a disagreement as the disciples realize that Judas has left to betray Jesus and their question about who would be the greatest is not answered to their satisfaction. But the truth is that the power of that night is still ours. And while this year we won't have an opportunity to celebrate it in person, the specialness of that night is still ours. And the love behind that night is still with us.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, for Your love we are thankful and blessed. May the events of thsi night at the table bless us with the food our souls need. Grant us Your love and grace; and forgive us our sins. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Pray for ways to show love to those in need; pray for the anxious and the frightened.

Receive my blessings of love and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde