Thursday, July 16, 2020

Christmas in July?

Image from pinterest.com

Hear the devotional right here: https://bit.ly/30dDJE5

1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me. 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away. 3 You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it completely. 5 You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.7 Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, 10 even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night," 12 even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24 NRSV)

A blessed Thursday be yours today, dear Friend. I pray all is well, and that you are staying safe from this heat and staying safe and away from the Coronavirus. Our church secretary's sister-in-law's mother, Mrs. Janie Vela is in the hospital with Covid-19; please pray for her healing and relief. I also got word that Rev. Dan Rodriguez' surgery is healing well, but he is having trouble breathing and is still in ICU because of that. Prayers for Dan's healing. Please make time to pray for one another; and time to pray for yourselves. Why do we pray? Because God answers prayer!

Okay, this is going to sound weird, and the title gives it away a bit, but reading the scripture as I prepared for this devotional I thought about a Christmas song. Yes, in July; and my daughter and I had a fun talk about watching Christmas movies in July, and just yesterday morning I forwarded an ad from a company that was having a Christmas in July Sale! The song that came to mind, and please don't judge me! was Santa Claus is Coming to Town! You know the lyrics right? "You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why; Santa Claus is coming to town. He sees when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake; he knows if you've been good or bad, so be good for goodness' sake." Yes, I am crazy, and I blame the heat! Yet, I wonder if that songwriter hadn't read this psalm before s/he wrote it?

The psalmist knew the truth about God. God is all-seeing, and all-knowing; and this is not to frighten us into good behavior, but to strengthen us as we feel weak, or hopeful when we feel alone, or blessed when we feel abandoned. The one who acknowledges God in all things will see the face of God in situations others would call dire. The one who acknowledges God has surrendered his/her life to God and has received blessings of joy, strength, and peace. That person has seen the last of darkness that overwhelms and defeats.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, bless us to be a blessing. Use us to bring light to those who feel overwhelmed by darkness. Remind us there is nowhere we can go, where You are not there first. In Christ Jesus we pray and trust, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde