Thursday, July 09, 2020

Don't Walk in the Dark!

Image from hearthymn.com

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe your righteous ordinances. 107 I am severely afflicted; give me life, O Lord, according to your word. 108 Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord, and teach me your ordinances. 109 I hold my life in my hand continually, but I do not forget your law. 110 The wicked have laid a snare for me, but I do not stray from your precepts. 111 Your decrees are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. 112 I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever, to the end. (Psalm 119:103-112 NRSV)

The very first verse in this passage always calls to mind the very beautiful voice of Amy Grant and her Christian hit song by the name of Thy Word. It was influential enough that it made its way to the United Methodist Hymnal. And King David did not see penny one of that hit. Just saying. He was the author of the psalm from which the song is based; but the song is more about the safety and protection the singer feels from the Lord, while David's is about his and our expected loyalty and obedience to God. David acknowledges that he sometimes walks in the dark, but it is while in the dark that the word of the Lord that shines brightly enough for him to find his way. David also knows that when troubled and feeling lifeless, God provides life. And as a result of that, David offers God praise, along with a request to learn more about what God desires from him. When surrounded by enemies, it would be easy to stray away from God, but David knows better. The joy of the psalmist's heart is the law of God.

Where do you turn dear friend when troubled beyond your normal tolerance? What distractions come your way when you're trying to find a better way? How often do you pause to reflect and read the Bible, especially when you're troubled or in trouble? David knew in Whose hands he had his faith and life in, and so do we. Let's live lives that glorify God and point others to the hope and peace that is ours because of God.

PRAYER: Awesome God, bless us with the faith that helps guide not only our feet, but also our hands, hearts, minds, and spirits to do Your wondrous work. Bless those for whom we are praying; bring healing, health, and happiness to those in need; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Help shine God's word on someone today!

Prayers for Rev. Rob Clopton, a newly retired pastor from our conference, who has some serious medical challenges ahead. Rob and Sandra live in New Braunfels.