Thursday, July 30, 2020

How Honest Are We When We Pray?

Image from pixels.com

Hear today's devotional read here: https://bit.ly/39GHYfu or you can listen here as well: https://bit.ly/3jRMMmZ

1 Listen while I build my case, God, the most honest prayer you'll ever hear. 2 Show the world I'm innocent - in your heart you know I am. 3 Go ahead, examine me from inside out, surprise me in the middle of the night - You'll find I'm just what I say I am. My words don't run loose. 4 I'm not trying to get my way in the world's way. I'm trying to get your way, your Word's way. 5 I'm staying on your trail; I'm putting one foot In front of the other. I'm not giving up. 6 I call to you, God, because I'm sure of an answer. So - answer! bend your ear! listen sharp! 7 Paint grace-graffiti on the fences; take in your frightened children who Are running from the neighborhood bullies straight to you. 15 And me? I plan on looking you full in the face. When I get up, I'll see your full stature and live heaven on earth. (Psalm 17:1-7, 15 The Message)

Martin Luther loved confession. It was a sacrament that he loved because he loved being honest with God. Martin Luther was a German Roman Catholic monk, who took all he did very seriously. Once taught how to confess, he took his time in the confessional. Yes, monks have to confess to other monks. And no, chips are not involved, so don't wait for a chipmunk joke! The trouble was that other monks did not like to hear Martin confess, for he would seriously review his entire day and anything he might have thought, said, or did. He did not want to leave any sin unconfessed. As admirable as I think that is, the other monks soon began to avoid their turn at the confessional if they knew Martin was due to confess. Martin wanted to be ready to pray the prayers of confession as well as those assigned to him as penance. One wonders how honest the other monks were in their confession and in their prayer time.

How honest are you, dear Friend, when you pray? Are you as honest as David? Truth be known, God knows our heart, our mind, our soul, and all that we have done. And once we know that, we know there is nothing we can hide from the Lord. And God desires our prayers to be a time when we get to know Him better; it's a true coming home moment for God and for us. The four basic components of prayer are Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication, or praying for others. We speak, then we should listen because it becomes God's turn to speak to us. As David saw it, it was his time to "build his case," and to call this particular prayer, "the most honest prayer you'll ever hear." An honest petition from a guilty soul asking the Almighty to show mercy and to render a verdict of innocence. David is honest enough to ask for a complete examination from "inside out" even revealing His verdict "in the middle of the night," and proceeds to say that he is dedicated to following God's way, all the way. David knew that this kind of prayer would allow his life to be living "heaven on earth" here. For anyone who seeks to know God "face-to-face" will be in heaven (paradise) with their God.

As we pray, we pray for the kind of relationship that David enjoyed with God; honest, truthful, open, transparent, and with a heart's desire to be made right in the presence of the Lord.

PRAYER: Loving God, as we pray, we do so with honesty. You know us, and have examined us, and instead of showing us punishment or banishment, You still lovingly invite us in, and there You welcome us with love and joy. May this bless our lives so that we too, can be like You in all things. Hear our prayer as we pray in Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Rev up your prayer life with honesty!

Receive my blessings of peace and joy,

Pastor Eradio Valverde

Prayer Updates and Requests: Dear friends, sad news from the Vela Family, Janie passed away earlier today, Wednesday in Corpus Christi. We mourn her death and we pray you continue to pray for her father-in-law, Isidro as he continues with his battle against Covid-19. We also received a prayer request from Mrs. Jane Haley regarding her husband Mike; he is facing "a very dire cancer diagnosis" and this before their 50th Anniversary. Jane herself has gone through cancer twice, and we should pray for a miracle. Please join me in praying for this dear family from Bastrop, TX. Prayers for all who suffer from that and again, please wear your masks and keep socially distanced from one another. Pray for one another, and pray for yourselves.