Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Keep Pressing On!

Image from onewritelife.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3kSt8an

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. 7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:4b-14 RSV)

A tremendous Tuesday be yours, dear Friend! Our prayers for a wonderful day and for opportunities in which to shine forth the love of Christ to a needy world. As you may have received the word that the Alegria Family shared with me, our prayers for Elizabeth Alegria Riley should continue in a fervent way; the family has been advised that her condition is not improving and she may soon join the Church Triumphant. Please be in prayer for her daughters and grandchildren, her brothers and all of here family and friends. Pray for one another, pray for yourselves. Also, I ask prayers for my cousin, Mrs. Rachel Meza Rivera, of Kentucky, who underwent massive surgery to battle cancer this morning; internal bleeding made it necessary to reenter the operating room, so please be in prayer for her and her family.

"I can do this myself!" Have you ever heard that? Especially from a little one who finally masters something you used to do for them? Have you ever told God that very thing? Well, the Apostle Paul was hearing from people who were saying that and uglier things to God. Yes, from his Jewish brethren and also from the Christian believers; but Paul says quite plainly, I have the right pedigree and education, and upbringing, and anything else you want to compare with, but that counts for nothing when I compare it to what Jesus has done for me, and Who Jesus is in my life. "I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ." Paul is simply saying, what can compare to the incredible things that Jesus has brought into my life? Nothing. Paul is affirming that in his having encountered the living, risen Christ, he has encountered life and that life that never ends and to which he aspires daily, knowing that one day he will attain it; this was his daily motivation for living. Everything that happened yesterday has stayed there, and he "presses on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Which is for all eternity.

Every day we are handed choices; and this happens the moment our eyes open for the day. What's the first thought that enters your mind? For most of us it is the thought to stay right where we are! The bed is so warm and comfy, and we know that we could do no harm to anyone if we just closed our eyes again and dozed off. Second thought? The to-do list that kept haunting your dreams. The report that is due. The final exam review that must be prepared, or attended. The bills that have to be paid. Yes, there are enough choices handed to us that cause many of us to get out of bed with a predisposition to be grumpy. It's at that moment we can say a thought prayer or two, about the joy of being alive one more day, of the new opportunities that are certainly coming our way to do good, and make a difference in the world. This week I shared with my oldest grandson the song "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these thing shall be added unto you, Ale-lu, ale-luyah." I explained it to him. I said, "Mijito, it's not enough to just live and seek to be happy, you have to seek to be good, and beyond good, with God's help to be righteous. That means to be fully God-led into living a life that is pleasing and obedient to the Lord; it's the kind of life that impacts others." And that should be our first and second choices; thank the Lord for the day, and seek God in ways that please Him and bless His people. The rest will all fall into place.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, as we pray, we do so with a grateful heart for life and the blessings that have come our way. But we also seek, with Thy help, to be those who truly seek You and Your righteousness. Move us beyond seeking to be only happy, we want to be good; and beyond good, we want to be righteous. We pray that in Your mercy You would be with those who need Your healing touch. Make a difference in all things; this we pray in He who died for us, Jesus our Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Talk to someone about moving from good to righteous in a way that is inviting!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde