Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Your Self-Centered Days Are Over!

Image from newlifenarrabri.wordpress.com

Hear the Narration and Bonus Material here: https://bit.ly/3mGCg3t

1 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any incentive of love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfishness or conceit, but in humility count others better than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:1-13 RSV)

Happy Tuesday! May it be a tremendous one in the Lord for you and yours, dear Friend! May our time together bring us joy and peace from the Lord Jesus, in Whose presence we are! We celebrate good news when we hear them and we should be encouraged to continue our prayers. The report from the hospital in Corpus Christi is that Ms. Elizabeth Alegria Riley's levels have dropped to 50 and maybe today is when they can finally wean her off the respirator. She is wearing an oxygen mask and more oxygen will flow through it in hopes of no longer needing the respirator. We pray that if this is God's will, that it be so! I did find out that The Rev. George Emerson Villegas died from Covid-19 on Sunday. night. Our prayers are with his family and his church family at Skidmore UMC. Our prayers turn to those along the Gulf Coast and the threat of Hurricane Beta headed towards them. We pray for God's mercy and protection on all people and animals in those areas, especially the low-lying areas. We pray for this to weaken and not affect the area in horrific ways.

I don't know about you, but once I encountered Jesus as my Lord and Savior, my outlook on life changed. I still enjoyed riding my bike, playing along Tranquitas Creek, working in Chapa's grocery store on Saturday, going to the Kingsville high school Brahama games, and the Texas A&I University Javelinas games, but my favorite day of the week was rapidly becoming Sunday. I started to love to go to church! And go to church I did; I remember walking with my mother and grandmother along the tracks to a certain point, then down the street to our church where they would quilt and have meetings, and we kids had time to play with our church friends. I soon discovered I enjoyed my church friends more than my school friends and wondered how it had turned out they went to different schools even in a town the size of Kingsville? All that the Apostle Paul shares in this passage was true for me. I found encouragement in Christ, I found love being among people whose beliefs were like mine, the singing and learning, the sharing of the same generic cookies and Kool-Aid were a delicious part of the fellowship, and my desire became to learn as much about God as I could. I still remember asking my mom and dad why we couldn't have Sunday school five days a week and regular public school on Sunday. They dismissed that question but now I wonder if it didn't make them wonder that I might end up doing with my life what I did; serving the Lord in ministry.

Paul encourages believers to live lives like Jesus, which may sound strange to those who do not know the church all that well, but the truth is that the church is not, to resurrect that old cliché, "The church is not a showcase of saints, but a hospital for sinners." Indeed. The preacher in Paul has him sharing the words of verse 2: "Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind." That's great foundational groundwork for all behaviors, but adds, "Do nothing from selfishness or conceit, but in humility count others better than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his/her own interests, but also to the interests of others." In other words, put your humanness aside, and let the divine guide you! Imagine the change that would come over those lives who commit to be guided and influenced by God's Holy Spirit? The centrality of the Church, just like every life, should be Christ Jesus, and He crucified, dead, and resurrected. And we should be so moved and touched by Him that even at the mention of His name our knees and hearts should bow in reverence, obedience, and thanksgiving for all He has done for us, and then allow that same grace to move our tongues to confess the truth of Thy works in us; all for the glory of God!

PRAYER: Loving God, we humble at the mention of Jesus' powerful name. Our knees and hearts bow in reverence and love for You. May this prayer move us beyond lip service and a life centered only on us, towards a life centered on You and Your lovingkindness towards us. May we seek wondrous ways to glorify You is our prayer. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Make today count with Your work for Him in the lives of others.

Receive my blessings of peace and love,

Pastor Eradio