Thursday, March 02, 2023

Second Phavorite Psalm?

Image from worldchallenge.org

Hear this devotional here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/Second-Phavorite-Psalm-e1vnnq2

View the devotional here: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7205803740375354670?lang=en

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? 2 My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot be moved, he who keeps you will not slumber. 4 Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand. 6 The sun shall not smite you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. 8 The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and for evermore. (Psalm 121 Revised Standard Version)

Welcome to Thursday, dear Friend! May the wonderful joys of life blend with the challenges you may be facing so that you can see that God wins! And so do you! May you be a bearer of good news to the world in all you say, think, and do today and all days. Pray for one another. Pray for your needs. Pray for the needs of the world.

This is one of my favorite psalms. There are actually 150 to choose from, so we're entitled to have more than one! I would rank Psalm 23 as the gold standard, or favorite of many; but so close behind is this one. I lost count of the number of times that I read this powerful psalm in hosptials rooms with dear ones eager for the blessings that come from a psalm that could be titled, "God Takes Care of ME!" My mind was blown when I heard one pastor say that this psalm more than likely written one morning that David awakened to find outside his tent enemy armies on the hills surrounding his camp, thus the reference to "I lift up my eyes to the hills." Gulp. But, as he asks the question, "From whence does my help come?" he knows the answer, "My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." The Creator of all things has the power to defend us. And David knew that. And even points the extent to which God can and does protect; Your feet are safe! And you don't have to worry about God falling asleep because God does not sleep. God is our keeper and our shade! We're in no danger from harm from the sun or the moon. And add to it, that God will keep us safe from all evil, and even your life! In fact, David says, God's got you covered; from start to finish and even beyond! LIke forever!

This psalm made me think of another song, God Will Take Care of You by Le'Andria Johnson whose lyrics are so powerul and encouraging.

Be not dismayed whatever betide God will take care of you Beneath His wings of love abide God will take care of you God will take care of you Through everyday o'er all the way He will care for you God will take care of you

God will take care He will, He will. Oh He will God will take care of you God He will take care you God will take care of you God will take care of you.

I hear that and claim it for you and for me! Stay blessed, be strong, be bold, and serve God always!

PRAYER: Dear God, grant me the faith and singing abililty of King David to make a joyful noise to You for Your love and goodness. I thank You for your protection and grace; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Share a comforting word to someone in fear today.

Receive my blessings of peace and joy,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.