Thursday, March 16, 2023

The Lord Is!

Image from dailyeffectiveprayer.com

Hear the devotional: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/eradio-valverde/episodes/The-Lord-Is-e20gtl0

View devotional: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7210966003730222378?lang=en

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; 2 he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; 3 he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (Psalm 23 Revised Standard Version Bible)

Did your father or mother ever sit you down to explain who you were? Was there a particular phrase or statement s/he made that has stayed with you all these years? In my experience it was on a need-to-know-on-the-go basis. I had several questions about an assortment of things and Mom or Dad answered them to help me know who I was. I was told all the time that I was loved by them and I told them that I loved them. My Mom taught me this psalm in Spanish as a way to help define who I was. And there could not have been a better resource than this, for this psalm has life pretty much covered. Let's see how we can be blessed with these truths:

1. I am a lamb. A creature of innocence (for the most part during our early years), who needs the guidance of a shepherd.

2. The Lord is my shepherd. We can't find a better shepherd anywhere.

3. In fact, the Lord is so good, we never go lacking anything. That covers the "want" part of the first verse. In earlier devotions I shared how my young mind used to think it meant I didn't want the Lord as my Shepherd; but it doesn't! So, stop it!

4. The Lord knows to guide me to the best places, especially when I need rest. Green pastures tells us the lushness of God's creation makes for a good bed for lambs.

5. The Lord provides for water. Living, delicious water. The thirstier we are the more water tastes good.

6. And when it comes to being depleted in any way, like your soul, your heart, your emotions, whatever, God is there to restore us.

7. God can lead us through paths where we are blessed and we can become righteousness for the sake of His name. The name of God shares goodness and strength.

8. Even in the scariest of times or days, God is with us and protects us.

9. Evil doesn't scare me, nor should it scare you; God is with us and He's armed with that which rescues, restores, and fights off all that may come against us. (They are NO match for God!)

10. God sets a great celebration table, and with His sense of humor invites those who would rather see me starve!

11. And in a bold move to further insult and ridicule our enemies, God anoints my head with oil. (Thank of King David in front of his older brothers)

12. God promises that the empty spots of our lives will be filled with the good, necessary things of a faith life; goodness and mercy - gifts that keep on giving!

13. God's care does not end with our death. God's love will carry us over the threshold of life and into the glorious presence of God Himself.

This is who you are. This is who I am. If we were to read this list on a daily basis we will be so blessed, that we will bless others. And that is what God is all about. And that is what you and I should be all about.

PRAYER: Loving Shepherd, guide us and bless us. Let us walk faithfully in Your blessings. Clothe us, feed us, and lead us as David said, and as we believe; in Christ Jesus we believe; amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Live as a beloved lamb of God.

Receive my blessings in a rich way,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.