Wednesday, March 01, 2023

The Actual Story and Name Change...

Image from dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com

Hear the devotional: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/The-Actual-Story-and-Name-Change-e1vm1nu

View the devotional: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7205436195231239470?lang=en

1 God told Abram: "Leave your country, your family, and your father's home for a land that I will show you. 2 I'll make you a great nation and bless you. I'll make you famous; you'll be a blessing. 3 I'll bless those who bless you; those who curse you I'll curse. All the families of the Earth will be blessed through you." 4 So Abram left just as God said, and Lot left with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran. 5 Abram took his wife Sarai and his nephew Lot with him, along with all the possessions and people they had gotten in Haran, and set out for the land of Canaan and arrived safe and sound. 6 Abram passed through the country as far as Shechem and the Oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites occupied the land. 7 God appeared to Abram and said, "I will give this land to your children." Abram built an altar at the place God had appeared to him. 8 He moved on from there to the hill country east of Bethel and pitched his tent between Bethel to the west and Ai to the east. He built an altar there and prayed to God. 9 Abram kept moving, steadily making his way south, to the Negev. (Genesis 12;1-9 The Message Bible)

Names are special. I should know. And your name is special too. We are given names usually with love by our parents for a special reason. Some of us are even named for our fathers or mothers. I was named Eradio Valverde, Jr. No middle name or initial. I remember one day asking my grandmother, who named my Dad, Eradio Valverde, why the name Eradio. She could not remember. I asked my grandfather and he said he could not remember but thought it might have been an Apache name. And I've been wondering ever since. I would not change my name for any thing in the world; I love my Dad and I'm honored to have his name. I am also honored that my grandson, son of my oldest daughter, was named Caleb Eradio.

Abram means "Exalted Father." Hmm. Interesting. And a clue to what lay ahead for him. And in this passage, his name was not yet changed to Abraham, which means "Father of Many." Okay. And this in spite of the fact that he and Sarai, which means "Princess." We should know as we named our second daughter, Saraí. (I couldn't think of a middle name that would go with that name. Then when she had a daughter, she loved her name so much she wanted to name her after her, but with a middle name. She said, "Dad you have to come up with a middle name!" I prayed and God gave me the name Evangelina, which goes perfectly with Saraí; so our first granddaughter is Saraí Evangelina.). But it is in this passage that we read the actual story of what Paul shared in his letter to the Romans. Paul addressed it theologically, and this is the how the Bible recorded the events that led to Abram becoming Father Abraham. Oh, and those who hear or view the devotional heard part of the Sunday school song of long ago, Father Abraham. It was written so long ago, we had to add the refrain "And daughters, too!" since the original version only says, "Had many sons." It's a fun song with movements and it's quite the exercise for all who sing and do the movements.

Hear the invitation from God: "Leave your country, your family, and your father's house." There's a lot being asked just in this section. Would you leave the USA for another country if God so asked? Would you leave your family? And would you leave your father's house? All to go to a new land? The tradition up until Jesus' day when it came to father's houses was that when a daughter married she would bring her husband to live with her father and his family. The reference to Heaven about our Father's house has many rooms, means all who enter Heaven will find accommodations. It was not common for young married couples to leave the father's house. And even in our country, the tradition was to stay with family on the family farm or homestead. It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution that the option to move away from Mom and Dad. And that is not to say that some families in some places here in the USA where that does not occur. The family knows to stay and help the family and finally assuming the operational responsibilities of the farm or business. Or, the attraction to family is so strong that though they may not physically live with them, they leave close.

God promises Abram that not only would he have a new land, he would become a great nation and be blessed. He would be famous and he would be a blessing. Those who blessed him would be blessed; and those who cursed him would be cursed. And the kicker is that "All the families of the Earth will be blessed through you." Who could refuse such an offer? Abram left as God had asked. The Two Men and a Camel Moving Company and help Abram and Sarai and now a nephew is involved, Lot, whom we'll hear about later in this same book of Genesis. Please note Father Abram's age at this point. He was 75 years young as he left his land and family.

Abram and Sarai's first stop was in Shechem where the Oak of Moreh was located. Shechem would later be one of the first capitals of Israel before Jerusalem. This land was still under Canaanite control and at the tree God appears to Abram and says He will be giving the land to Abram's children. Abram builds an altar there and moves east of there to the hill country and pitched his tent between Bethel on the west and Ai to the east. Abram built another altar there and he prayed to God. And then he moved on, continuing his journey to the promise that God shared with him.

The name change is coming. The journey continued. All were in place, starting with God and the faithful, Abram and Sarai. They had the faith and trust to come it come true. Our journey continues too. We can make it as well. Hang in there!

PRAYER: Loving God, help me continue faithful on this journey. Increase my faith and trust in You and help me do the same with me; may I have more faith and trust in what You have shared with me to do what You have asked of me. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ATTENTION: Trust God more today in ways that show off your faith.

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.