Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A LIFE LIVED IN PRAYER


Good day dear friends.
I have great sadness in my heart in the loss of a dear Christian brother. Mr. Samuel Martinez of Edinburg, Texas died unexpectedly on Sunday in Eagle Pass, Texas. Samuel, 77, was a tremendous lay person in our denomination. He was involved in all levels of the church and in the Rio Grande Conference when I say all levels, there are level galore: local church, sub-district, complete with meetings and committees, district, conference, jurisdiction, and general conference. Sam served in every capacity and he was a caring man. I've known Sam for many years and in my early years of ministry counted him as a mentor and spiritual friend. Samuel is survived by his widow, Gloria, and their five children and many grandchildren. His memorial service will be Thursday and burial on Friday in Edinburg. Please pray for the family in this terrible loss.
Here is our study guide for today:
Tuesday: 1 Chronicles 4, 5What was it about Jabez (1 Chronicles 4:9-10) that the Chronicler might have felt was praiseworthy?
Who can forget the small best-selling book, The Prayer of Jabez? It was this prayer that inspired Bruce H. Wilkerson to write this book on this prayer: (NIV) "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." The book tries to make the prayer seem more outwardly focused and says we can pray this prayer in asking for "territory" to mean influence. The Message's version below seems more inwardly, read selfish, than just influence: "Bless me, O bless me! Give me land, large tracts of land. And provide your personal protection—don't let evil hurt me." Well, it was what Jabez prayed for and the writer says, and God gave it to him! The poor guy started life with a bad name. Momma suffered much pain in childbirth so she named him, "O, the pain!" So she helped Jabez build character on the playground with his friends. What the writer considered praiseworthy is that Jabez was a man of prayer. Jabez sought to walk with God and God blessed him in ways that impressed the writer.
Is it wrong to ask God to bless us? No. In fact, only from God can come good blessings. Can we ask God to enlarge our influence? Yes. Is it wrong to ask God to give us "land, large tracts of land?" Why do you want it? What good would you do with it if God gives it to you? What are your motives?
The main thing to remember is to be a person of prayer. But keep prayer as a form of worship, not dictation. God is not our personal assistant just waiting to hear orders from us. Prayer is a way to enjoy God and God's presence with us. Prayer should be two-way conversation about life and the fullness of life, not a drive up to a drive-thru where we can place our order. I'm sure that Jabez prayed more than this one prayer for which he's known. But if asked, why are you so blessed, he answered, "I prayed and God gave it to me."
What are you praying for?
PRAYER: Loving God, I thank you for the gift of prayer. I praise You and worship You today in my prayer. I thank You for all the good that You have blessed me with and I pray for wisdom to know how I can bless You with what I have. As You give me more, let me love and praise You more. Let me give witness to what a life lived in prayer can be. I pray in the name of Jesus my Lord, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.