Thursday, July 05, 2007

Remembering a dear friend and servant of the Lord


The news of Sam Martinez' passing hit me hard. Sam was one of those guys who's always been around and secretly you think, he'll be here forever. I remember Sam when I was a child, always present at events we attended when we lived in Kingsville. I believe it was in Corpus Christi, where Sam lived at the time. I heard talk that Sam's Presbyterian Church had closed down and that congregation was coming to the United Methodist Church. Their loss was our gain. The congregation became El Buen Pastor United Methodist Church, the second Spanish-language UM church in Corpus. Sam learned quickly about servanthood through elected lay positions and became a master of those. He represented us at jurisdictional and general (national) conferences. He was elected to serve as a member of the General Board of Discipleship. In fact, while I was still a young pastor, Sam thought I needed to visit the Board at one of their meetings and so it was. I don't know how he secured the money, but the GBOD paid for my trip, and I was exposed to that sort of national ministry. Some years later, I myself, was elected to that same board as a clergy member where I served seven years.


Sam always had a vision for the church. He came to me with an idea to take college students and high school seniors to Washington, D.C., to visit the General Board of Church and Society. He explained the rationale and I wrote the proposal and we took a fantastic group of kids to DC, a group that included my oldest, Nellie. Sam was a gracious man. On the trip one young lady bought him a gift and signed it "To my good friend, Mister Garza!" Everyone moaned and tried to get after her for being so thoughtless, and Sam said, "No, that's fine. I'm Samuel Garza Martinez, so that's all right!" Sam was gracious. The trip was wonderful and our kids experienced much and learned much. Thanks to Sam.


Sam was always on the go. He died on the go. He loved his job because he was able to meet people and work with people all while traveling throughout the Valley and South Texas. It was on a business trip to Eagle Pass that he was called home. I mourn Sam and the loss this brings to the denomination. I mourn the loss that this brings to his family. Sam had seven children, not the five I knew; and many grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. I don't know if Sam still had to work at this age of 77 or if he just loved people so much he couldn't stay home and just sit. Sam was not like that.


I thank you, Lord, for Sam and his life and all that he meant to Your church, his family, and to me.