Friday, February 01, 2008

FIRST BLESSINGS AND FIRE


Good day dear friends.
(Nellie and Sarai some Easters ago. Nellie is on the left, Sarai on the left) Today is the birthday of our first born so Nellie and I are visiting with her. We were blessed four times with wonderful children and we're thankful to be with them, when possible, on their birthdays.
It was an adventure getting down here as we drove through very dry brush country. At a point south of San Antonio Nellie remarked how dangerous it would be if some person would throw out a cigarette butt. Sadly, we saw two examples of that on 281, one north of Alice, TX, and the other south of Alice in the little town of Ben Bolt, TX. In the Ben Bolt blaze traffic was allowed to continue south as the fire blazed on both sides of the highway. The fire north of Alice was smaller and detained us for about 20 minutes. But as we drove past the second blaze I got a nudge to turn back and help in whatever way I could. Nellie didn't complain she just said to be careful.
I ran to a home where an older man and his wife were trying to hook up their water hose to dampen the area. Once the water got going I started spraying the dry grass on the part of their property that was in the path of the coming blaze. In two minutes that area was covered with smoke and we left that area. All the while it was a period of prayer for those folks, their lives and their homes. As you can read or see in the below links, all turned out well. The only damage to me was that I smelled like I had been at a BBQ!
So, let today be a day of thanks for all we have and what God has shared with us. We thank Him for our daughter and her special day, and that we are able to be with her today.
Be thankful for your children today. Be thankful for life. Pray for rain and for one another.
PRAYER: Loving God, we thank you for all You share. I am thankful for life and I pray Your blessings upon us. We also ask for rain so that the parched earth may be renewed and refreshed. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.