Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LENTEN JOURNEY8/THE ROCK


Good day dear friends.
We continue to pray for Allen Bates of San Marcos and his special needs. We also lift up John Morriset who is to undergo a heart procedure this coming Friday. Please pray with faith in the Lord for the healing of these brothers.
David said, "The Lord lives! Blessed be my rock, and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation," 2 Samuel 22:47.
As I had lunch yesterday with a church member and a former church member, one of them said about our view over our beautiful river, "Is that rock new? It somehow looks out of place." The rock he was referring to was a huge rock that given its size sticks out about three feet above the water. I don't imagine that rock gets moved much without the assistance of mechanical devices of some kind.
Given the rugged natural area in which King David lived it was not unusual for him to notice the rocks of his area as well. These were not easily moved either and on this occasion as he ponders who God is, David calls God a rock. He's referring to the strength and immovability of God. He's also calling God "my rock," meaning David had a relationship with God and understood where he, David, stood, and more importantly, where God stands. He goes on to say that God is the "rock of (his) salvation."
David was saved. There, that pleased a lot of Baptists. And it should please you. David was a man of deep, strong faith most of his life, and yes, he did lose his salvation on some occasions (that didn't please our brethern of Baptist persuasion), but he came back to that salvation in his later years. David was sure of his relationship with God. He knew God had the power to forgive him of his sins and to restore him into the fullness of life; which are the fruits of being "saved." It's also an assurance that upon one's death, God is still there, unmoved, ready to receive us.
Do you know God as rock? Do you know God as your rock of salvation?
PRAYER: Loving God, my rock, speak to me words and thoughts of salvation. Let me have a relationship with You and let me model that relationship to others, so that they too, can come and ask about having a relationship with you as well. Be glorifed in my life, I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.