Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ASH WEDNESDAY


Loving God bless this dear reader; in Jesus' Name, amen.

Today is Ash Wednesday. Several brave souls joined Pastor Aaron Saenz and myself (Nellie as well, as today is our 31st Anniversary) for an early morning headstart on our 40-Day journey of Lent. Pastor Aaron read from Joel and Matthew and I shared the meditation of what today symbolizes for the believer.

We count about six weeks towards Easter/Resurrection Sunday; 40 days of spiritual preparation. The question I asked those who gathered was, "How do you journey?" I gave the example of those lines that form outside Southwest Airlines as you line up based on the section issued you, A, B, or C. Then you look at your number and line up more or less in numerical order. As you do, you can't help but notice expressions on each face as to how they approach their journeying to their destination. The same applies to how we see our 40 days. The prophet Joel shares God's invitation to return back to Him. God says "a great and powerful army approaching," and that can mean the sin in us and the temptations we face each day. The first hymn sang, "God of Grace and God of Glory" prepared us "for the living of these days," speaking of the battles we face. The truth is that we journey spiritually towards the Cross. In 40 days we will remember Good Friday and Christ's death on that Cross for you and me. On Easter morning we will celebrate the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead. What a journey we're on.

Joel and Matthew both speak about fasting. Fasting is an ancient practice we call a spiritual discipline. One replaces physical nourishment with spiritual ones. One can skip a day or a meal without eating, but replaces that mealtime with prayer and scripture reading. Like we see in the book of Daniel, and as Jesus said years later, "one does not live by bread alone." So, whether it is a meal, two meals, a day or candy or sodas or tv viewing, whatever you "give up for Lent," be sure to "take up" something spiritual in its place. Let the time be a God time when we are open to God's leading and speaking.

PRAYER: Loving God we journey towards You during this time of preparation. Guide me to faithful living. As I give up something to help me realize the things in me that should die, let me also take up something that tells me of the things You have placed in me that brings me to the fullness of life. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde