Friday, January 08, 2010

ENTHUSIASTICALLY LIVE LIKE CHRIST WANTS YOU TO!


Loving God bless the needs of this dear reader in whatever they may face today; in Christ Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Our text for today is from Ephesians 4:1-6: 1 I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all.

On June 13, 1976 on the campus of my alma mater, Southwestern University, I received my first ordination into The United Methodist Church. It was a special day and a major milestone in achieving the call on my life to serve the Lord as a minister of the Gospel. I thank God all of my family was present for that special day and upon returning home to Houston I sat in the living room and noticed my youngest sister, Sandra, came to sit directly across from me and was just staring at me. I asked her, "Sandra, what's wrong?" She kept staring and said, "Well, you're a minister now and I don't know how to act around you anymore." For those of you who speak Computer I would insert LOL right here. For those of you who don't, that means "Laugh (or laughing) Out Loud." Sandra is now engaged to a minister, so I hope she knows how to act around one now!

I have never forgotten that moment because it did speak the truth of that calling upon our life and in today's passage Paul takes it to the natural level: All Christians, that is, all who have asked Jesus to be Lord and Savior of their lives, have received marching orders or a call on their lives to live differently from what the world is used to. Our baptism was a mark of faithful service to the Lord and the Lord's creation. By our baptism we were initiated into the Body of Christ not for privilege but for a purpose, to share the Good News of Jesus with all. But do we live it? Obviously the Ephesians were not being known for faithfulness. If you turn back to Acts19:10ff you find that once Paul preached and baptized them with the Holy Spirit amazing things happened. The power of prayer was so powerful and present that folks started taking hankerchiefs and aprons prayed upon by Paul to place on their loved ones and healing occurred. Books that had nothing to do with the Christian faith but with magic were burned. So, these folks knew how to live, something happened and they found themselves far from the place where God wanted them. How is it with us?

Paul always shares a checklist of what God shares with him so here's ours: Humility. Are we living lives filled with humility? That is, are we placing the needs of others first above ours? Do we share with others as we should? Gentleness. Are we harsh with folks, abrupt and short? Then take a gentle pill. Patience. Do we find that our patience is easily tried and we lose it quickly? Then pray for patience. Forbearance. Do we put up with each other in loving and kind ways? Unity. Are we serving together for the good of the Lord or are we striving after our own agendas? Paul reminds us that the Body of Christ is one body. We are covered and led by the one Spirit and we all share in the one hope of our calling; that in Christ Jesus our sins are taken away, we are pulled into the fullness of life, and we long for the day when we will be home with God. The closing part of this passage is a benediction of hope and assurance: "one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all." Amen.

PRAYER: Gentle Savior, lead me to where I need to be. As I read today's word You spoke to me and examined me and I ask that You make me truly Yours. May all that You shared with Paul be mine today. May my life speak volumes of invitation and compassion to all who I encounter. I pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde

-----Prayer Updates: Caleb Eradio Garcia, our grandson, is breathing better and his second doctor's visit showed that. The doctor said to keep monitoring him. We praise God for that. Howard Burttschel's surgery went well and he was in recovery. Thank you all for your prayers.

-----Prayer Needs for today: For the memorial service of James Matz. May the Lord use all who are taking part to glorify God and bring comfort to the family. For John and Darlene Topp who are leaving or just left for Houston for preparations for John's surgery at M.D. Anderson.