Tuesday, January 12, 2010

ENTHUSIASTICALLY PUT AWAY THE FORMER LIFE!


God of good gifts, share the wealth of your riches in the needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Our text for today is from Ephesians 4:17-32: (The Message version of The Bible) 17 And so I insist - and God backs me up on this - that there be no going along with the crowd, the empty-headed, mindless crowd. 18 They've refused for so long to deal with God that they've lost touch not only with God but with reality itself. 19 They can't think straight anymore. Feeling no pain, they let themselves go in sexual obsession, addicted to every sort of perversion. 20 But that's no life for you. You learned Christ! 21 My assumption is that you have paid careful attention to him, been well instructed in the truth precisely as we have it in Jesus. 22 Since, then, we do not have the excuse of ignorance, everything - and I do mean everything - connected with that old way of life has to go. It's rotten through and through. Get rid of it! And then take on an entirely new way of life - a God-fashioned life, 23 a life renewed from the inside 24 and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces his character in you. 25 What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ's body we're all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself. 26 Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry - but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry. 27 Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life. 28 Did you used to make ends meet by stealing? Well, no more! Get an honest job so that you can help others who can't work. 29 Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift. 30 Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don't take such a gift for granted. 31 Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. 32 Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.

All Christians should have a "former life." That is to say when Christ comes into our lives, He changes us from what is wrong to what is right. Such is the power of the Gospel to transform and make right our lives. If you don't have a former life then perhaps it's time for a change. I am one of those raised in church and you would think "What kind of 'former life' could you possibly have?" Well, how much time you got? When I invited Christ into my life I wanted to be a new creation as His word says. I wanted to put away the negative and the evil and take up the positive and the spiritual. I wanted to put on Christ so that it would be He guiding and leading me in this Christian way. Paul is reminding Christians, as we all do need it, that we can and do fall back into what we used to do, but we shouldn't. The Christ way is the better way. What Jesus offers to us is a life that goes beyond existence into the fullness and joy of being alive. I can now compare this to the way I used to eat. I had tried diet after diet and usually given up. I prayed and prayed and asked God to help me with my health. I basicallly said, "Lord, I can't do it on my own anymore, I just give in to that which I shouldn't be eating." It was through the encouragement of my new doctor and Nellie's willingness to walk with me in this that we just learned a new way to eat. It wasn't easy, much like being a Christian, but it was better. Now we enjoy foods that are filled with whole wheat, fiber, and good to eat. I surprise myself even now that I sometimes choose a salad when I used to look down on those who chose that instead of ribs or fajitas. I choose healthy snacks and desserts and this is my greatest temptation because chocolate and me go way back! You have to pray for me for I am still tempted. In the same way, Paul reminds us of the renewal of our minds that we need to better follow and serve Christ (v. 23).

PRAYER: Loving God of all good things, help me today make the decision to choose the right way in following You. I ask dear Lord to help me put away those things that are harmful to me and to our relationship. I regret the former life and I want to live the new life. I can't do it alone; I need You. And I pray this prayer in full faith in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde