Wednesday, January 27, 2010

PROCLAIM PROUDLY AND LOUDLY THAT GOD LOVES US ALL; IT IS OUR JOB!


Loving God of new days, may this day mark a new and great day of faith for this dear reader in all that they face; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Philippians 2:12-18: 12 Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure. 14 Do all things without murmuring and arguing, 15 so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world. 16 It is by your holding fast to the word of life that I can boast on the day of Christ that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 But even if I am being poured out as a libation over the sacrifice and the offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you— 18 and in the same way you also must be glad and rejoice with me.

"I can't believe I got the job!" How often have you said that or dreamed that you had the chance to say that? In my case it was after dropping out of seminary and applying to work for Southwestern Bell Telephone and after passing the aptitude test I was invited to sit for an eight-hour exam. It was so difficult that I thought oh well, perhaps I can do the job for which I originally applied. But, no, thanks to God, I passed that test and was hired for the position the interviewer suggested. Then I began to worry if I could do the job... How often have we said that about our "job" as Christians? Paul says in verse 12 that we must "work out" our own "salvation with fear and trembling." How I interpret this is that when we establish a relationship with Christ Jesus, you and I have been "saved" from our sin and the certain path to our destruction both earthly and eternally. We've been saved to a new life, one in fullness and abundance in grace and love. We've also been given the task to do good works because we are saved. This is the journey of sanctification, a big word that means we walk daily with God being made more holy with each day (or so we should strive!), and that means working with fear and trembling at doing what we have been called to do: Live a life that shines the light and love of Christ to those who have not yet received.

The task seems big and it is, but as Paul also says, God stands behind us and not only gives us the power "to will and to work for His good pleasure." Our attitude should then be a positive one that says, I'm blessed to be a Christian and to have the joy of sharing Christ with others - no room for "murmuring and arguing!" - we've got work to do! And as we read about church attendance and participation we see that so many have already decided that God is not for them, we see that our job grows bigger each day. But here's the good news, we can do it!

PRAYER: Loving God, so many are lost in sin and negativity and I know it falls on me to do this great work; give me a heart, mind and body to tackle these things. I trust in You and with You behind me and by my side I can do it! I pray this in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde