Wednesday, January 20, 2010

ENTHUSIASTICALLY LIVE A PRAYER LIFE - IT MIGHT JUST OPEN WIDE THOSE PRISON DOORS!


Gracious and merciful God, grant your deep peace and calm on the needs of this dear reader and the challenges they may face today; in Christ Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Ephesians 6: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly , to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly , as I ought to speak . 21 But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do , Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things: 22 Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts. 23 Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen .

"I don't have time to pray!" How often have we said or heard that? The obvious answer to that challenge, according to Paul: Never stop praying! For the Christian to not pray is like for the human to say I can't make time to breathe! Sometimes that seems almost too real, we get caught up in so many things going this way and that that when we finally find time to sit down and catch our breath, it seems like we don't have time to breathe. Paul's remedy for himself as was for Jesus, was to pray always. A life prayer is a model that we can adopt that involves our always thinking towards God, "Lord, I'm facing this or I thank you for that, and as I do this let me do it in a way that glorifies you, etc." Prayer and that of praying for others is important. Paul stresses that praying for other Christians ("saints") is very important. Paul asked for prayer so that he might preach better, with boldness in ways that made the Gospel inviting and attractive. He knew that even as a prisoner in chains he had work to do and had not yet given up or resigned himself to defeat. He had a volunteer assistant to go forth and share in the telling and sharing of the Good News. And with that Paul closes his letter.

Friends, this letter I've called Enthusiastically, as evident in each's day's title because it is a part of four powerful letters of Paul that we sometimes can't find easily and so we are looking at them in order: Go, Enthusiastically Proclaim Christ! We're done with the Enthusiastic part, tomorrow we begin Proclaiming! My prayer is that each of these thoughts that I share will help all of us in how we live our lives before God. I have to confess that having enthusiasm for all things is not always present, but I pray that this may have blessed you as it has me. Add the passion and zest to your life that God intended. Let others see that you've taken a step towards that life in abundance that is ours through Jesus Christ. Don't be content with just surviving - live in Christ and thrive!

PRAYER: Loving God, I do not know what I would do if I were in prison having to wear chains, yet I know that sometimes my earthly pleasures and desires do enslave me and keep me away from You. Swing open the prison doors of that vice or sin that's holding me down and swing open the doors of my heart that I might have that enthusiasm of joy and love for You and Yours. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde