Wednesday, July 28, 2010

DAY ONE IN A JOURNEY IN GOD'S GRACE

God, let love so amazing fall upon the needs of this dear reader's life; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Friends, we'll take a walk down some of the most powerful teachings we have as a church concerning God's love as expressed in what we call "grace." For our text for today, we'll look at what David declared in Psalm 139: 13-15: 13For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

To begin to understand grace, we must first discover and declare that we are God's. It was God who made us out of love and Who loves us all our days, and even beyond our days here on the earth. Notice how David came to know that and to declare from God's own inspiration, "For it was You who formed my inward parts," this from a man who had not yet been blessed by what science has taught us about the marvelous machine that is the human body. Yet David knew that inside were his feelings of love and fear, of peace and comfort, of hunger, satisfaction, and while he couldn't explain how each thing worked, he did the next best thing, he attributed them to God. He uses the word "knit" remembering possibly how his mother or household servants knit their clothing and this indicates he may have stood by and asked, "Mom, what are you doing?" As she explained knitting, the thing that remained with David was the care and attention paid to the process, knowing that out of love this project was coming to life. And so had he! And you and me!

David declares that there isn't a day in which we were not God's. You can't go further back in our own development and life than the womb and that is what that second verse of the passage declares, "you knit me together in my mother's womb." And what should our response be to all this? The same as David's: To praise and thank God and to enter into a relationship with God for God's love towards us.

Grace's first step comes in our knowing that we belong to God.

PRAYER: How awesome and amazing is Your love. Help me today know that I was made, out of love, by You. As David declared, so do I, I was formed by you much like a mother knits clothing, and for that I praise You and thank You, and ask that I might begin a journey with You in understanding Your grace. I pray this in the awesome name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Update: Roberto Olivares' surgery went well. Doctors expect a full recovery. Thank you for your prayers.