Thursday, July 01, 2010

PLANTING SPIRITUAL SEEDS


God of wind and rain, fall afresh on the life of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today: Galatians 6: 7 Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow. 8 If you sow to your own flesh, you will reap corruption from the flesh; but if you sow to the Spirit, you will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9 So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest time, if we do not give up. 10 So then, whenever we have an opportunity, let us work for the good of all, and especially for those of the family of faith. 11 See what large letters I make when I am writing in my own hand! 12 It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh that try to compel you to be circumcised—only that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 Even the circumcised do not themselves obey the law, but they want you to be circumcised so that they may boast about your flesh. 14 May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything; but a new creation is everything! 16 As for those who will follow this rule—peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Whatever kind of seed you plant, that's the kind of tree or plant you will receive. I remember one summer during my childhood, that I determined to take advantage of the seeds in a delicious watermelon our family had enjoyed. We weren't much into spitting seeds to see how far they could go. So I dug a hole in the back yard, watered it faithfully, and waited. It wasn't too long before I saw a small sprout coming out of the dirt and got excited. Weeks later it was like a vine and out of all those seeds came my one and only watermelon. I confess I didn't let it grow to its full length because of my excitement; I ate what was a mini-watermelon. But it was mine! The same is true about what we plant spiritually and carnally. If we invest time in a spiritual discipline, we are planting great seeds for later growth and blessing. In the same way whatever we do to please our flesh and passion, we are planting not-s0-great seeds for what may come and harm us later in a physical way.

Paul speaks of "the opportunity" to "work for the good of all." And he's right even today. We as the church could and should be doing the great spiritual work that will bring about a revival in our midst. And the revival starts in us first.

What seeds have you planted? What will you plant today? Will you allow God to work in you to bring about a great harvest?

PRAYER: Loving God, I thank you for all the spiritual seeds we can be planting in our lives. May we allow You to work for our good and for the good of others. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde