Wednesday, July 07, 2010

WHAT WOULD GOD HAVE YOU SAY?


Loving God of all places, be with the needs of this dear reader in all they face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text from Amos 7: 7 This is what he showed me: the Lord was standing beside a wall built with a plumb line, with a plumb line in his hand. 8 And the Lord said to me, "Amos, what do you see?" And I said, "A plumb line." Then the Lord said, "See, I am setting a plumb line in the midst of my people Israel; I will never again pass them by; 9 the high places of Isaac shall be made desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste, and I will rise against the house of Jeroboam with the sword." 10 Then Amaziah, the priest of Bethel, sent to King Jeroboam of Israel, saying, "Amos has conspired against you in the very center of the house of Israel; the land is not able to bear all his words. 11 For thus Amos has said, "Jeroboam shall die by the sword, and Israel must go into exile away from his land.' " 12 And Amaziah said to Amos, "O seer, go, flee away to the land of Judah, earn your bread there, and prophesy there; 13 but never again prophesy at Bethel, for it is the king's sanctuary, and it is a temple of the kingdom." 14 Then Amos answered Amaziah, "I am no prophet, nor a prophet's son; but I am a herdsman, and a dresser of sycamore trees, 15 and the Lord took me from following the flock, and the Lord said to me, "Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'

Everyone's call comes in different forms, and everyone's call is to something unique. All are called to believe and serve. Some are set apart to serve in ways that most everyday folk cannot. Trying to explain or define that call is difficult sometimes. Trying to live it out is even harder. God remains constant, we waver from time to time. We read this morning the call from God to Amos. The call begins with an everyday object with which Amos was accustomed. The intrument was a plumb line, and it attracted Amos' attention then God shares the purpose of God's wanting Amos to go and speak to God's people.

Amos discovered as have we, that not all people, even those who call themselves people of God, want to hear what God has to say. Words that make us squirm and wiggle in our comfortable seats fall on deaf ears. Challenges and invitations seem to go over our heads to "someone else." Amos was called from among the common people, not the professional school of prophets, as are we.

What would God use you to say today?

PRAYER: Lord God, You have called me to faith and to be Your servant. I ask that You might give me the words to comfort and to afflict those to whom You direct. Give me the wisdom to know the difference and the courage to act on what You would. I ask this in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde