Thursday, July 08, 2010

HIDING BEHIND PRIESTLY ROBES AND LEVITICAL ROBES


Blessed Lord, take the hand of this precious reader and guide them to faithfulness in the challenges and needs of today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Many of us know and love the story found in Luke 10:25-37: 25 Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he said, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 26 He said to him, "What is written in the law? What do you read there?" 27 He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." 28 And he said to him, "You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live." 29 But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30 Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, "Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.' 36 Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?" 37 He said, "The one who showed him mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Ah, the qualifier in all things. I've been guilty of it, especially when younger and told by my parents to do something. I would seek further clarification to perhaps lessen the load of that with which I had been entrusted, only to discover that sometimes added to the burden. Here the lawyer wants to know one thing: How do I inherit eternal life? Interesting word, inherit, for that implies one's parent or loved one must possess it to leave it to us. Haven't you daydreamed about out of nowhere, like in the movies, you discover you had a long-lost uncle who was loaded and left you all his wealth? Sadly, I knew and loved all my uncles and they're all gone, and I'm still waiting (better said, still poor!). This man knew of what he asked, but he wanted to make sure. Jesus replies with the teachings this man has known since childhood, but he wants to know more. Yes, yes, I know all that and try to do all that, but that love your neighbor stuff, tough as it sounds, Who is my neighbor? Glad you asked, Jesus replies, here's the answer. Our neighbor is not just the person who lives across the street or next door to you. And it isn't just the persons who live on your block or in your subdivision. It's the person in need, the one who is hurting, the one wounded and left for dead, even, and hear this, even if he is not of your race, color, sex, or creed.

The story of the Good Samaritan has been told to us countless times and we love to sneer at those who walked on by, not realizing that many times that has been us. Time constraints, job commitments, family obligations, etc., all have played a role in our not being the one who has stopped to render assistance. We have been the prominent people of society, "priest and Levites" in our importance, who because of that, have not done what we know God would have had us do. May the Lord help us be like the one whose heart broke when he saw the need and jumped off his vehicle to help, and not just help but to follow through with the comfort and healing of the one in need. "The one who showed mercy" is the true neighbor. May it be said of us, that we are the true neighbor to those around us.

PRAYER: Loving God, help me today not hide behind my "priestly robes and roles" or my Levitical importance where I become blinded to the needs all around me. Mine is the call to commit to care, help, and heal. I can't do it alone, I need You. In Jesus' precious and powerful name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde