Saturday, April 30, 2011

Are You Looking for Nickels?

Loving God of all days; may this be a day in which You are glorified in the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Colossians 3:1 So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. 2 Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ - that's where the action is. See things from his perspective. 3 Your old life is dead. Your new life, which is your real life - even though invisible to spectators - is with Christ in God. He is your life. 4 When Christ (your real life, remember) shows up again on this earth, you'll show up, too - the real you, the glorious you. Meanwhile, be content with obscurity, like Christ. (The Message).

This particular version of the Bible reminds me of a conversation I once had with my mother. She was concerned about how I was adapting to life in the big city. We had moved from the comfort and safety, or so I thought, of Kingsville, to the unknown and somewhat fearful city of Houston. I had gone from walking to school with my friends, to walking alone two city blocks to a major street to await a city bus on which I would ride to Lanier Junior High. That first morning, Mom walked me to the bus stop, handed me twenty cents, for each way would cost me a dime. And waited with me until the bus came and saw me get on. In the afternoon I arrived to the stop alone, walked the two blocks home. The whole way I walked head down just dreading this new life of mine. I was missing my friends, missing Kingsville, wondering what in the world God had in my mind for us by having us in this God-forsaken place. This went on for some days and I was now developing a sense of myself and I was not liking what I was seeing. I struggled with who I was and what I looked like so I walked with my head down. My mom asked, "Are you looking for nickles?" I laughed and replied that would be nice to find some. And she said, "You're missing a lot by just looking down, why don't you look up and enjoy what is all around you?" I knew what she was saying and I was having a difficult time buying it. After some days and especially after that first Sunday in our new church where a lot of my old friends from Kingsville now attended, my attitude changed. The same is possible for all of us especially after hearing Paul say, "This stuff about Jesus being raised from the dead is real! Look around and see where Christ can be seen and make Christ real for others!" That's true stuff. Our attitude about life should be shaped by our faith in Christ Jesus who is still with us; and our living in that manner will bless others to life.

As I write this I am honored and humbled by the reality that in the next room here where we are staying for our first Corpus Christi Clergy Retreat on the Island, is a dear friend who also sends out an e-devotional to his readers. He's one of ConCafe's longtime readers as I am of his. Last night he reminded me that we've been friends for 13 years and in that time we've developed this ministry of sharing with others our faith in Jesus Christ. Rev. Tommy Hays of Messiah Ministries is our guest speaker for this event and he always blesses me with his good nature, gentle spirit and might committment to Jesus Christ. He is one who live s with his head looking up and being aware of all Christ is doing for us.

PRAYER: Loving God, make me more aware of what You are doing right around me. Lift my head during those times I feel down or bewildered about life. Open my eyes to the beauty of Christ alive and in my midst working for good in so many ways. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Please keep the clergy and families of the district in your prayers today. Pray for Rev. Hays as he shares with us about The Prayer Life of a Minister.

I also share some exciting news, at least for me; Amazon.com has published "The Prayer of Jesus: Reclaiming the Power of Prayer" in Kindle format and you can access this at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XZWIU8. If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a Kindle free for your computer or your smart phone. After your purchase my book it will sent to your Kindle app or program instantly. I'm praying this will be a blessing for those who need to discover what power is ours through prayer. It's a 14-Day study of The Lord's Prayer based on what I shared recently through ConCafe.

Eradio Valverde