Thursday, April 07, 2011

A Life that Says Yes, I Believe!

God of light, blaze brightly on the life and needs of this dear reader that they may not face nor walk in darkness; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our study of Jesus and the power of death continues from John 11: 17 When Jesus finally got there, he found Lazarus already four days dead. 18 Bethany was near Jerusalem, only a couple of miles away, 19 and many of the Jews were visiting Martha and Mary, sympathizing with them over their brother. 20 Martha heard Jesus was coming and went out to meet him. Mary remained in the house. 21 Martha said, "Master, if you'd been here, my brother wouldn't have died. 22 Even now, I know that whatever you ask God he will give you." 23 Jesus said, "Your brother will be raised up." 24 Martha replied, "I know that he will be raised up in the resurrection at the end of time." 25 "You don't have to wait for the End. I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. 26 And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all. Do you believe this?" 27 "Yes, Master. All along I have believed that you are the Messiah, the Son of God who comes into the world." (The Message).

How many times have we not prayed, "Lord, where were you when this tragic thing happened to me or my loved one?" That's precisely what Martha asks Jesus. This is the sister of the dishes, worried about how she was stuck with doing all the housework while her sister Mary visited with Jesus (Luke 10:38-42); she's the outspoken one and wants to know why it took so long for Jesus to get there. Her question is like ours, "Lord, where were you? If you have been here, this would not have happened!" or "If you had only answered my prayer..." But Martha is a woman of faith equal to that of her sister's, for she knows that even at this point (four days later), Jesus could do something, anything, especially resurrection of her brother. And that gives Jesus an opportunity to speak about resurrection. His first comment is about being "raised up." She has heard this teaching in her synagogue and replies with the Sunday school answer. But Jesus counters that with the right here, right now strength: (And here's where I prefer the New Revised Standard version) "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" This is a key teaching of our faith. Those who believe in Jesus never die, for ours is a resurrection faith. Jesus' key statement is followed by his key question, "Do you believe this?" I've asked that many times during funeral services, for those who mourn the loss of a loved one have to answer it; those for whom we gather to bid farewell have answered it in their own way. This question is a question calling us to life and that in the fullest; to live and serve without fear of death.

Our answer will come in how we live our lives and give witness to the One who gave His for ours. Our lives should reflect the love and purpose that is ours through faith in Christ Jesus, so that others will ask and ultimately come to believe as well. Our Christian life is not only behavior, it is being. It is living as one who is forgiven even behind the safety and security of our home. Many a child has had doubts instilled in them because of the way "Christian moms and dads" have behaved at home. Let your light shine as brightly at home as it does at church.

PRAYER: Loving God, may I be the witness to life that You have called me to be. May I be an example to those with whom I live as well as to those with whom I worship. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde