Friday, April 01, 2011

GLORIA! GLORY!

God of grace and God of glory, grant the resources needed for this dear reader's life; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

We're almost done with our conversation about The Lord's Prayer! Today's is "and the glory." (Matthew 6:13 KJV)

We take the word glory for granted. We don't use it much in daily conversation. I had a dear pastor friend from another denomination who would say it often usually in response to a testimony or the sharing of some good news of marvel. "Glory!" he would say, usually softly. In Spanish, I knew several, but one in particular who would yell out, "Gloria!" Which was okay except for those dear women by the same name. After several times of turning around to see what he wanted, they caught on. "Ah, he's exclaiming "glory!" and not calling me!" Glory is that realm of God that is pure and sacred. The gospel eyewitnesses to Jesus' Transfiguration didn't know how to describe it other than to say it was like Jesus' body was outlined in human form and Jesus' face shone like the sun, in one account, and his clothing was "dazzling white." It was a glmpse of Heaven, that sacred space of God that words cannot describe other than this bright, almost blinding light. To pray that we should know Jesus is speaking of that sacred realm and also the majesty that goes with God. It is to attribute high praise and worship to the presence of God while admitting that we still lack so much and we humble ourselves before God.

How has the realm of Glory invaded your life? Have you sought the pure, sacred presence of God in all that you do? Do you worship God while you pray and humble yourself before God? Yesterday, another district superintendent and I had to make "the call" to one of this DS's pastors. This particular DS had never done one before and I had, so I coached a bit, the call was made and the phone handed over to me. As I'm describing this opportunity we are offering, the pastor responded with an affirmation and response that neither of us had imagined. The pastor was weeping, I was about to, and my colleague was fanning away tears as well. It was glory. It was the presence of God going before us and answering our doubts and fears in a way that I can only call, glory.

PRAYER: Loving God, You are awesome! You move among us in ways that we can only say, Glory! May it be so again today and may I seek to be a part of that movement of Your Spirit so that others may come to know and see Your Glory. As I pray again, let it be even more powerful to me, "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever and ever." Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde