Wednesday, April 13, 2011

LEARNING FROM JESUS

Loving God of the journey, walk gently with this dear reader in all they may face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

We will use this as our text for today: Isaiah 50: 4 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. 5 The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. 6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. 7 The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. 9 It is the Lord God who helps me. (NRSV)

Many of us if we knew how much suffering was awaiting us because we became Christians, might think twice about how public or boldly we would live our lives. I've shared how Paul, when in fasting and prayer for those days after his conversion saw the rest of his life, including his death, and yet he still said yes to the Lord. I wondered had the Lord revealed to me just difficult meetings I would sit in or remarks and criticisms about my ministry, would I still have said yes? Now put it in the perspective of the prophetic word about the sufferings Jesus would endure. Paul understood this and this helped his yes. Today's text is about the why and how of Jesus' final week on earth. Jesus came to teach and He taught hope and encouragement. Jesus taught how each day is a day with God and a day in which we can honestly say we are not alone. Jesus taught how to listen to God and how to learn to receive what comes our way with a hope that defies even the pain that is present in our situation. Jesus was struck many times and was spat upon. Jesus would show that His help came from God and even in the face of disgrace was not alone. There is no shame in suffering for the Lord. In fact, even our suffering may help those who also suffer if we remain strong in the Lord.

Let our declaration be, "It is the Lord God who helps me."

PRAYER: Loving God as we begin to enter the time of rembrance of all that Jesus suffered for us, let me be more like Jesus and let me be more thankful for all that was done on my behalf. Let me not put Jesus to shame in my thoughts, words, or deeds. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde