Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Abundant Life Requires Our Knowing Who the True Shepherd Is!

God of amazing love, demonstrate gently Your love to this dear reader in all that he or she may face; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from 1 Peter 2: 19 For it is a credit to you if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. 20 If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, what credit is that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God's approval. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps. 22 "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth." 23 When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls. (The Message).

You and I have been there. It seems like nothing we do is perceived as right by others. And thank God, most of us have not suffered physical abuse, but the emotional and mental kind seem even worse. We have had days where we just need encouragement about who we are and Whose we are. As a pastor I have been there and so have most of the pastors I know. We tend to forget that the very nature of our job is spiritual and as such, we're open to attack on all fronts, especially the spiritual. Lay folks are not exempt either. In Christ Jesus we have the model of the One who suffered and endured all for us; in all things, with all accusations and all beatings, He committed no sin, and neither should we. That is easier said than done, but we should be in prayer always, sometimes just asking for a heart to love the one(s) who are attacking us. God will give it to us.

A pastor recently shared that two of the most difficult questions were asked in the setting of the pastor-parish relations committee; are you happy here and are you giving your best? I shared how I would answer: I'm happy for the special privilege of knowing that God has me here. I'm happy for the victories, small and sometimes unseen they may be, of the large number of junior high students we attract to our Sunday school, the mess of a paint job they made in their new space, the fellowship and discipleship that I am seeing formed in those lives. I'm happy that I am involved in the community, through Rotary, through my involvement in the law enforcement breakfasts, and I listed several of the things I knew this pastor was doing quite well in the setting to which they were assigned. Let me also tell you where I am giving my best: In my prayers for you. I pray for you each day. I give my best in my sermon preparation time, for I want God to share with me the words that God will use to bless you, encourage and strengthen you. I give my best in those times members of the church have called me to be by their bedside. I give my best in the prayers that follow such visits. I give my best in... and the list can go on. Now, the areas in which I am not happy; there are still many in our community that do not know the love that God offers through this church. I am not happy that sometimes members believe I am the only one who should be doing the work that God called of all believers. I am not happy with those who find time to instead of praying for me, talk to others about me in ways that are not constructive.

We do our best as pastors and members and believers in the Good Shepherd. He already did the hard and most difficult part, the part that corresponds to us is to follow obediently and lovingly, working to grow the fold in which more sheep can be brought in.

PRAYER: Loving God, let me be an encourager to others, especially those who sometimes feel neglected or unfairly blamed or accused for all they do. Remind me that I am Yours and You are with me and like the good shepherd You are, You will lovingly guide and bless me. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde