Thursday, May 12, 2011

KNOWING THE SHEPHERD

God of all details, bless this dear reader in all that she or he is preparing and may Your hand be gently upon their shoulder; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from the 23rd Psalm: 1 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. 2 You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. 3 True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. 4 Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure. 5 You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing. 6 Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life. (The Message).

In one of my churches I had a man who had been in a Hollywood movie. Not a great part, but a B movie, and he had played the part of an American soldier in a war movie. He was also a writer, having written a book about the life of a regional war hero during Vietnam, and he was an artist, having made the set of the stable our church used for years. He was, and is, a gifted speaker and when called to preach or share a witness he would quite willingly. He had constructed a soldier we called "Roman," (but say it in Spanish, Row-mahn!), with which he talked about the full armor of Christ. But he once told the story that many of you have heard about a church banquet where a famous actor had been invited to dazzle the crowd with his rendition of the 23rd Psalm. Drawing from his years on the stage the man mystified the crowd with a great, moving delivery of the Psalm. The crowd applauded wildly for they had never heard it presented quite like this. On the dais with the actor sat an old retired minister who had served the church many years ago. Once the actor sat down, the old preacher stood and began to recite with years of having experienced the presence of the Shepherd, "1 The LORD is my shepherd ; I shall not want . 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies : thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever ." Not a dry eye in the house as the congregation felt the power of the Shepherd in this simple re-sharing of the same Psalm. The old man sat down, and there was complete silence. The actor rose and said, "I know the Psalm, but this man knows the Shepherd."

Indeed, life in the fullest, life in abundance comes in knowing the Shepherd not just the Psalm. Many have the times and days when you and I have said, "We are blessed. God has provided!" Many too are the times we have said, "If God had not renewed my stength, I don't know how I could have made it." And better yet, during the dark days of disease or death we have said, "If God had not held me up with His strength, I would have collapsed, but God held me up!" After facing adversity or challenge we have also said, "God brought me through that and I even looked good in the eyes of those who sought to bring me down." And what about the hope that we can have that will help us say, "With God on our side I can expect only God's best and blessing every single day of my life. And when this life is over, it'll only be better." Dear friend, if you don't know the Shepherd, invite Him in to your heart, surround your will and sins to Him, He will forgive them and give you new life, a life in abundance.

PRAYER: Loving Shepherd as I pray, I again commit my life to You. Forgive me of my many sins. Wash me clean in Your blood and make me new. Come into my heart and live and give me life in abundance; this I ask in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde