Monday, May 16, 2011

THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE!

Loving God of all seasons, may this day be truly a day of new beginnings and joy for the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from John 14: 1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way to the place where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (NRSV)

This is the Gospel text for this coming Sunday and we will take a couple of days to study the power and beauty behind this very special text. This passage happens just after Jesus has revealed to His disciples that He would suffer and die. Like most loved ones, this is not news one likes to hear or process. Their reaction was much like ours when we have faced this type of news, denial, anger, saying things we don't really mean or believe. In their case, the disciples did not yet know the power of Jesus over death, so Jesus tells them about troubled hearts. The person with no belief in God suffers a lot when told news of a grave nature such as this. Jesus says that those who believe in God should not be troubled because of that belief. He takes it further by sharing how God has a "dwelling place" for those who believe. This was a word of life beyond this life. And earlier Jesus had told the disciples that He was involved in the construction of that place, so you know it has to be good! One of the secrets of Walt Disney was that he knew that if you continue to build and make new attractions, people who see the construction will have to come back to see what is coming. Imagine God's work! And Jesus personalized this for He said that He would be preparing a place and that He would come Himself to take us with Him so that where he is, we might be also. That in itself is powerful enough, but He had to continue explaining because of so many human emotions and doubts. In verse 5 it was Thomas who says, "Lord we don't know where you're going, how can we know the way?" Good question. And listen for the great answer: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Last Sunday's passage dealt with John 10 and how Jesus is the gate for the sheep and the good shepherd. This passage is about Jesus is the way. For many years, before the name "Christian" was given to believers, followers of Jesus were called Followers of the Way, meaning that in Jesus we know how to live and we know where we are going. It came from this passage and for that reason I named my blog, The University of the Way, meaning our need to staying focused on Jesus and what Jesus offers to us. The second part of this important teaching is that Jesus called Himself truth. We should leave no room for doubt in our lives when it comes to such an important and eternal question about life after death. Jesus spoke to His disciples and He shares with us the truth. There is nothing false in Jesus. Lastly, Jesus said He was life. Last Sunday we heard Jesus say He came so that you and I might have life and that in abundance. It's a recurring theme in Jesus' message, for He himself is life for you and me. And Jesus provides our access to God the Father.

Can we say we're lost? Not if we know Jesus! Can we say that we can't believe unless it's the truth? Jesus is the truth. Can we say that life ends with death? Not if we believe and trust Jesus!

PRAYER: Loving God of all life and truth, bless me today with that strength of faith that I need. May I reflect to others that I do know the way, the truth and the life because I know You! I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde