Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Jesus Has the Last Word on Everything!

God of precious and powerful moments and days; richly bless the life of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from 1 Peter 3: 13 If with heart and soul you're doing good, do you think you can be stopped? 14 Even if you suffer for it, you're still better off. Don't give the opposition a second thought. 15 Through thick and thin, keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your Master. Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy. 16 Keep a clear conscience before God so that when people throw mud at you, none of it will stick. They'll end up realizing that they're the ones who need a bath. 17 It's better to suffer for doing good, if that's what God wants, than to be punished for doing bad. 18 That's what Christ did definitively: suffered because of others' sins, the Righteous One for the unrighteous ones. He went through it all - was put to death and then made alive - to bring us to God. 19 He went and proclaimed God's salvation to earlier generations who ended up in the prison of judgment 20 because they wouldn't listen. You know, even though God waited patiently all the days that Noah built his ship, only a few were saved then, eight to be exact - saved from the water by the water. 21 The waters of baptism do that for you, not by washing away dirt from your skin but by presenting you through Jesus' resurrection before God with a clear conscience. 22 Jesus has the last word on everything and everyone, from angels to armies. He's standing right alongside God, and what he says goes. (The Message)

I grew up in an interesting and wonderful time. As a child I was instructed by my parents as to right and wrong. I was also disciplined by both my parents. Yes, that means that I would be subject to two interrogations and punishments, usually spankings. And I always believed I was striving to do what was right. Sometimes what I thought was right was more fun than right and as a result, well, you know. Then, life got more interesting when I went to school when my Dad and/or my Mom would tell the teacher, in front of me, "Is my son misbehaves you can paddle him and then let us know and when he gets home we'll paddle him again!" What?? Thank God, it wasn't until 9th grade that I got my first school paddling for laughing during band rehearsal. It was funny and the one swat with the paddle was more humorous than hurtful. I laughinly told my Dad and he just laughed with me. Life changed when I started wanting to do something and I would ask my Mom and she would say, "Go ask your Dad." I would ask him and he would say, "Go ask your Mother." And sometimes that would go on for more times than I thought fair! But always striving for the right. Peter is saying the same thing about more important matters, those of the eternal nature. When it comes to our faith, we must live right and do what is right and just before God. And we should be willing and ready to defend our faith in ways that attract others to God's way to life. And our model should always be Jesus who suffered and died for the just and unjust alike. Christ died for you and me. Peter believes that during His three days in the grave Jesus visited those in hell and shared with them the right way to live. And if we have been baptized we can stand right before God and others about who we are and Whose we are.

I learned early in my ministry when it comes to all things, Jesus has the last word on all things. I've seen doctors proven wrong because Jesus had a different diagnosis. I've seen lawyers proven wrong because a different advocate had something to say. I've seen probable tragedy turn into victory and on and on, in the lives of so many parishioners and family members. Jesus has the last word.

What are you facing and what have you been told by humans? Have you asked Jesus what He thinks and wants for you? He'll have the last word.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for Jesus. Thank You for all that Your son does for us, especially when it is the unexplained and sometimes the unbelieveable. Have the last word in my life and in my life's challenges and opportunities. I ask this in His precious Name, Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde