Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Joy of God's Word!

Loving God of all seasons, may the season of this dear reader's life be filled with health, joy, and rich blessings; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Psalm 119: 129 Every word you give me is a miracle word - how could I help but obey? 130 Break open your words, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning. 131 Mouth open and panting, I wanted your commands more than anything. 132 Turn my way, look kindly on me, as you always do to those who personally love you. 133 Steady my steps with your Word of promise so nothing malign gets the better of me. 134 Rescue me from the grip of bad men and women so I can live life your way. 135 Smile on me, your servant; teach me the right way to live. 136 I cry rivers of tears because nobody's living by your book! (The Message)

Summertime is a time for reading for most people. As the summer was beginning various sources gave us lists of "must-read" books, and several friends have posted on their social network outlets what they're reading at present. With the download app of my tablet I can download samples of those books that have been recommended and have already rejected a couple. You and I know when something is really a "must read."

The Psalmist felt that way about God's Word. Having compared himself to a thirsting, panting deer for the quenching of God's word in his life, you know that he's serious about not only reading it but living it. The joy and enthusiasm of someone like that is contagious! You begin to understand his excitement about these stories, teaching, messages, and commandments from God for better living. Is the Bible one of your summer must-reads? The belief of the psalmist is one of a one who seeks others to know what he knows. He knows that in God and through God's Word we find what we need when we need it. Is the Bible one of your summer must-reads?

PRAYER: Loving God, give me the joy and enthusiasm of this your servant the Psalmist; may his joy be my joy and may my joy be found in You and Your Word. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde