Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Wisdom to Be Wise

Precious Lord, take the hand and heart of this dear reader on the path of peace and justice; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from 1 Kings 3: 5 That night, there in Gibeon, God appeared to Solomon in a dream: God said, "What can I give you? Ask." 6 Solomon said, "You were extravagantly generous in love with David my father, and he lived faithfully in your presence, his relationships were just and his heart right. And you have persisted in this great and generous love by giving him - and this very day! - a son to sit on his throne. 7 "And now here I am: God, my God, you have made me, your servant, ruler of the kingdom in place of David my father. I'm too young for this, a mere child! I don't know the ropes, hardly know the 'ins' and 'outs' of this job. 8 And here I am, set down in the middle of the people you've chosen, a great people - far too many to ever count. 9 "Here's what I want: Give me a God-listening heart so I can lead your people well, discerning the difference between good and evil. For who on their own is capable of leading your glorious people?" 10 God, the Master, was delighted with Solomon's response. 11 And God said to him, "Because you have asked for this and haven't grasped after a long life, or riches, or the doom of your enemies, but you have asked for the ability to lead and govern well, 12 I'll give you what you've asked for - I'm giving you a wise and mature heart. There's never been one like you before; and there'll be no one after. (The Message)

I was sharing with my daughter that many years ago while still a young pastor, an elderly member of my church came by with one of those mass-produced publishing sweepstakes company letter. In it it said that he, like me, you and all 7 trillion people on earth, COULD be the winner of the grand prize of $10 million. He had read it wrong but wanted me to call these people and ask when that money could be delivered. He would not listen to reason, for he had in his hand the letter that said he was the winner! I told him I had received the same letter, unfortunately I had already thrown it away to prove to him that we weren't really the winners of $10 million. I knew the man could use the money, and I had several ideas of my own, but I kept those in the deep recesses of my thoughts.

Riches. It was one of the things Solomon could have asked for in that vision with God. God gave him the chance to ask for whatever it was he wanted, and while many of us might have asked for silver and gold. He didn't. Others might have asked for a very long, healthy life. And a smaller group I would hope, might have asked for the end of their enemies. Solomon asked for none of these things. He asked for a "God-listening heart" so that he might be a better leader. Wow. Other versions have Solomon asking for "an understanding mind," and the ancient version, which celebrates its 400th Birthday this year says, "an understanding heart." (King James Version). Still others say it was wisdom that Solomon requested. What we do know was that God granted that request and allowed Solomon to be known as one of the wisest rulers in history.

Have you ever asked for a God-listening heart? What difference do you think it might make in the way you live your life? I believe that a God-listening heart turns us outward towards the needs of others and beyond our needs. If we think about it too long the list for what we believe we "need" becomes ridiculous and reveals our selfish and self-centered side.

PRAYER: Gracious God grant to me a heart like the one Solomon wanted to make better decisions; may my heart truly listen to You at all times. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde