Thursday, July 28, 2011

What Do You See When You Pray?

Loving God of all people, fill the heart and spirit of this dear reader with Your joy; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Psalm 17: 1 Listen while I build my case, God, the most honest prayer you'll ever hear. 2 Show the world I'm innocent - in your heart you know I am. 3 Go ahead, examine me from inside out, surprise me in the middle of the night - You'll find I'm just what I say I am. My words don't run loose. 4 I'm not trying to get my way in the world's way. I'm trying to get your way, your Word's way. 5 I'm staying on your trail; I'm putting one foot In front of the other. I'm not giving up. 6 I call to you, God, because I'm sure of an answer. So - answer! bend your ear! listen sharp! 7 Paint grace-graffiti on the fences; take in your frightened children who Are running from the neighborhood bullies straight to you. 15 And me? I plan on looking you full in the face. When I get up, I'll see your full stature and live heaven on earth. (The Message).

"Close your eyes when you pray!" I believe my Mother and my Father taught me that. My grandmother also stressed that. I wonder who taught that to them. As a child it was hard to close my eyes, there was too much going on and so much to yet see! And in recent times the danger after a long day and a long night sometimes makes it easy to sleep after one closes ones eyes to pray. What or who do you see when you pray? Does your mind take you places like the ones for which you're praying? Do you see the people for whom you've just asked a blessing? Does it matter? The Psalmist in this prayer psalm is saying that his desire as he prays is to see God "full in the face." This means that though we do not know what God looks like he still wants to see the presence of God and while there may not be an image which can describe that, it is the intention that matters. Our prayers should be such that God can see us as we really are. No hiding anything from God. God knows it all. Are you scared? Worried? God knows. Are you anxious and stressed over a pending thing happening today? God knows. But as you pray do you know Who God is in your needful times? If it worry, do you know God is the quencher of worry? If it is illness, do you know God as the divine healer? If it is fear, do you know God as the author and provider of peace?

Our prayers should never end. Our hope should never end as well. I love the phrase in this new translation of God "(p)ainting grace-graffiti on the fences." Can you imagine that, messages that address your needs? "Don't worry!" "Be still and know that I am God." "God's on the case," and an old favorite from a dear former member of one of my churches, "There's no need to fear, Jesus is here!"

Indeed.

PRAYER: Loving God as I pray this morning let me see You for Who You are. As I adore and worship You, let me see You as Almighty, Powerful, Worthy of my praise. As I confess my sins and thoughts for me, let me see You as mercy and peace, the giver of forgiveness. As I thank You for You have shared, let me see You as a provider of all good things. As I pray for others, let me see You as the God who loves everyone. I pray this in Jesus' name , amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

PS ConCafe will be on vacation for a bit. I ask your prayers as Nellie and I today start a trek towards South Africa for the World Methodist Conference. I am not taking my computer with me so there will be no new ConCafes until August 15th. Please continue to read your Bible and say your prayers and by all means go the House of the Lord of your choice and worship God!