Monday, July 25, 2011

Our God of Provision

Loving God of peace and strength, fill the life of this dear reader with hope and joy; may Your peace guide them today and all days; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Matthew 14: 13 When Jesus got the news, he slipped away by boat to an out-of-the-way place by himself. But unsuccessfully - someone saw him and the word got around. Soon a lot of people from the nearby villages walked around the lake to where he was. 14 When he saw them coming, he was overcome with pity and healed their sick. 15 Toward evening the disciples approached him. "We're out in the country and it's getting late. Dismiss the people so they can go to the villages and get some supper." 16 But Jesus said, "There is no need to dismiss them. You give them supper." 17 "All we have are five loaves of bread and two fish," they said. 18 Jesus said, "Bring them here." 19 Then he had the people sit on the grass. He took the five loaves and two fish, lifted his face to heaven in prayer, blessed, broke, and gave the bread to the disciples. The disciples then gave the food to the congregation. 20 They all ate their fill. They gathered twelve baskets of leftovers. 21 About five thousand were fed. (The Message)

You and I sometimes need those "leave me alone for a while" moments. Time to think moments. Time to cry moments. It's never easy to lose a loved one. I was a freshman in college when my Mom called me to let me know a cousin of mine had died. He lived in Kingsville and I was in Jacksonville. My Dad told me I did not have to worry about attending the funeral as I had no car nor a way to get down there; but I knew about buses. I took one of the longest bus rides in my life from Jacksonville to Kingsville to attend that funeral. The long bus ride was that time alone for me. Jesus lost his cousin. For speaking the truth openly and honestly, John the Baptist was murdered. And when Jesus heard this news He needed time alone. But due to His popularity it didn't happen.

Jesus used this time with people to heal the sick and before they realized the time it was late. The disciples always ready with answers said that Jesus needed to send the people away. Jesus responds that they should feed them instead. All that was available were five loaves of bread and two fish. And then the unexplainable happens: In the blessing and sharing of this simple meal, there was enough food to feed five thousand people. Everyone ate their fill and 12 baskets of leftovers were collected. I loved hearing different "explanations" while growing up from different pastors about "what really happened." Most were theories these pastors had heard and shared. One said that the 5,000 were watched by Roman soldiers who always carried food with them and when they saw Jesus' gesture of sharing they decided to share. Another said that the people themselves worried about having to share their food kept it hidden until they also saw this gesture of sharing and then they decide to share. The rest I cannot remember. But the one I love best is the possibility (or reality) that the story tells what really happened; a miracle, which is an event that defies common logic or scientific explanation. The God who created all things knows no limit to power or explanation. The God who provides, can and does provide all the time. The God invoked in prayer to provide for needs, does.

What do you need? More importantly, what do you hold that could bless someone else's need? Are you willing to share it? Are you willing and ready to trust God in all things?

PRAYER: Loving God, You provide all things to all who ask, in prayer and faith. Share with me that which I need to help bless someone else today. May I seek to be a vessel of blessing and provision for someone in need. Thank You for Jesus and His willingness to give. May I seek to be like Him. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde