Tuesday, October 22, 2013

God Stands With Me

from www.readingacts.wordpress.com.

Finishing The Race of Faith!

From 2 Timothy 4: 6 As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come.7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 16 At my first defense no one came to my support, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and save me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

If anyone's face deserves a place on the Wheaties Box of Spiritual Champions, it is the Apostle Paul. Actually, on several boxes; one for fighting, one for running, and one for being faithful to the end. This passage is Paul's famous good-bye address, for he knew the end of this life on earth was drawing near. Christ Jesus had revealed to him all he would suffer, including how he was to die, and still Paul signed on for the ride and adventure that is faithful and fruitful living. Jesus also showed him the "crown of righteousness" that awaited him for having done and lived what he did in his life. Yet, Paul saw faith in Christ Jesus as a wonderful mystery. Like most believers he asked why someone like Jesus would die for us. That was a mystery, but one that he embraced and lived. He took a stand for Jesus because he knew that Jesus had taken a stand and his place on the cross for him. He fought the battles he fought because he knew that Jesus had fought battles for him. He ran and finished the race of faith because in His life, Christ was faithful until the very end. And because of all he knew of Jesus and His life, Paul stayed faithful to the end.

Paul was a bit sad that during his "first defense," no other believer stood to support him. The saying today is that Paul could say, "They threw me under the bus." Paul was deserted and left to stand physically alone, yet Paul does not say, "Send a thunderbolt from Heaven and strike them dead!" No, Paul prays that it not be held against them. Paul knew that he did not stand alone; God stood with him, and gave him strength and the words to continue to share the message to fulfill his call to take the good news to the Gentiles. And it was because of the Lord's faithfulness that Paul was given a second chance to continue, and that faith that God continued with him was still with him here at the end.

How about us? Do we know we never stand alone? Do we still fight, run and keep for the faith, or do we run, run, and run? Running only counts when we're doing it for the sake of Christ Jesus, not running to hide for our lives. Ours is a faith for taking a stand for Jesus and showing others what has been shown us; the better way to live.

PRAYER: LOVING God, may I live my life like Jesus and like Paul. I want to have faith and wisdom to share the Good News with all creatures here and everywhere. This is my prayer in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde