Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Blessing of God's Word

Want directions for life? They're in the Holy Bible

From Psalm 119: 97 Oh, how I love all you've revealed; I reverently ponder it all the day long. 98 Your commands give me an edge on my enemies; they never become obsolete. 99 I've even become smarter than my teachers since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel. 100 I've become wiser than the wise old sages simply by doing what you tell me. 101 I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil so I can spend all my time keeping your Word. 102 I never make detours from the route you laid out; you gave me such good directions. 103 Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking. 104 With your instruction, I understand life; that's why I hate false propaganda.

What view do you have of the Holy Bible? Do you see it simply as a book, or a sacred writing? Can you stack things on it, or feel guilty about anything being on top of the Bible? When I was a campus minister, one of the students active in our ministry was adamant about nothing being on top of any Bible, even mine. If I had placed a smaller book on it for easier carrying, she would come over and remove the smaller book. I've shared how my nephew when he was about ten went through a period of being scared at night and asked for five Bibles. "Why five Bibles," I asked? "Because I'm really scared and they will protect me!" I did give him one but only after he promised he would read it. Many people hold the Bible as a sacred object. And I'm not going to make a discussion about that, what I do what to do is to speak of what we can find itself of that precious book. The real power of the Bible is the message of God that it contains and shares with those who read it with an open heart and a listening ear.

The theme for this week's lectionary texts has been on the Bible. The OT reading from Jeremiah spoke of a coming new covenant which we can make the case for it being the New Testament. The Epistle from 2 Timothy was on knowing the "sacred writings" and the need to always teach them. The Gospel of Luke shared the need for prayer as a foundation for our faith. The Bible is also a part of that foundation. The Psalm is about the way David has been blessed from knowing its writings and content. David had a love for God's word and delighted in it all the time. He held a reverence for God's word and spent time "pondering" what was inside. That meant not just reading but re-reading and prayerfully considering each word as a message from God. And David knew that being in the Word brings an edge to life that others, even our enemies will not have. Satan knows the Bible as you have seen when you read what happened to Jesus after His forty days in the wilderness. Madalyn Murry O'Hair knew the Bible better than most preachers! I saw her live in a debate on the campus of SMU with Bob Harrington, a flamboyant man, self-titled "Chaplain of Bourbon Street" as it was broadcast on WFAA AM radio of Dallas. He presented her with a red Bible and told it was red, because all Bibles should be read; but as the debate went on it was obvious that she knew the Bible as well as him; but it did not speak to her as it did Bob.

David believed that by listening for God while reading the Bible, he had become smarter than his teachers and wiser than "the wise old sages simply by doing what you tell me." Notice what he gleamed from the Word; watching his step, avoiding the ruts and ditches of evil, just so he could keep God's word. He went the way God showed him, believing that "good directions" had come from reading the Word. He even attributed eating aspects to study in the Word saying, "Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking." Summed up, he says, "With your instruction, I understand life."

Re-read the passage for today and let it sink in. Re-read this week's lectionary passages and see again how important God's Word, with prayer, is for your life. The directions for a blessed life can be found in God's Word. Are you listening as you pray and read?

PRAYER: Loving and amazing God, speak to my heart as I read from Your Word. Show me the way I should go. Keep my steps right behind Yours, help me avoid the ruts and ditches of evil. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde