Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Jumping Mulberry Trees!

(from sundayschoollessons.com)

Jesus Invented "Just Do It!"

From Luke 17:5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" 6 The Lord replied, "If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, "Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you. 7 "Who among you would say to your slave who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, "Come here at once and take your place at the table'? 8 Would you not rather say to him, "Prepare supper for me, put on your apron and serve me while I eat and drink; later you may eat and drink'? 9 Do you thank the slave for doing what was commanded?10 So you also, when you have done all that you were ordered to do, say, "We are worthless slaves; we have done only what we ought to have done!' "

I love watching kids watching television especially around the commercials of the Christmas holidays. "I want that!" "No, I want that!" It's a litany of a chorus repeated whenever a new or different sort of toy comes on the screen. The disciples had just had some lessons on faith. The story of the rich man and Lazarus must have made them pause long and hard about their own faith and faithfulness. Then the difficult teaching on forgiveness and how one must lose count of offenses done against them for true forgiveness to take place. The only thing they could think to ask for, was more faith. They believed they did not yet measure up to the expectations of a faithful and fruitful life.

Jesus' reply was that even the tiniest of faith, compared to a mustard seed or a poppy seed, is sufficient for doing all that is expected of us as believers. Just do it, is basically Jesus' response to the disciples and to us. It's not about the large amount of faith that you have, is about having faith to do what you should. More faith does not mean better prestige or privilege; faith means being faithful and fruitful in all things, especially forgiving one another and encouraging one another. It's not as if we ask for more faith to do less or to enjoy more; use the faith you have in God right now to get to work right now.

Just do it.

PRAYER: Loving God, forgive me when I think I don't have enough faith and use it as an excuse for not doing as I should. Grant to me the assurance of a faith strong enough to do all that you expect from me so that I might indeed be faithful and fruitful. This I ask in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde