Monday, October 21, 2013

Humble Before God

Goes A Long Way

from agnusday.org

From Luke 18: 9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, "God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

Humility is a special gift. It is a spiritual attitude towards God and others that has God in God's proper place (No. 1), others in their place, and us in ours. And by proper, it is in following Jesus' teaching about the greatest commandment of loving God with all that we've got, and loving others as we love ourselves. And it has its place in worship. When we worship, it is the worship of God, not my favorite traditions or rituals, or even favorite hymns and orders of worship - it is about lifting our praises to the Most High God.

Jesus tells a story about two men, intended to teach a lesson to those listening, for there are those who do trust in themselves rather than God and thus set themselves up to treat others with contempt. Jesus explains that one man is a Pharisee and the other is a tax collector. Opposite ends of the pole in those days in the religious circles. Pharisees were "in," and tax collectors were "out." But, as these men are praying, Jesus says, the Pharisee prayed this prayer, "God, look at me! I am so wonderful! My face should be on the Wheaties Box of Spiritual Champions! First, let me thank You for not letting me like the losers out there in the world. You know who they are, people who steal, people who take advantage of others, those who cheat on their spouses, Man, I'm so glad I'm not like this tax collector, because You, O God, know how much we hate them! Oh, and by the way, I fast twice a week, which is twice more than most people. I tithe, so my church loves me! I'm so special! Why don't you just pin that blue ribbon on me right now?" The other man, the tax collector, Jesus said, could not even look up to heaven, instead he was beating his breast in sorrow and pain, and his prayer went something like this; "Lord, please have mercy on me, I am a sinner!" Simple and to the point. More importantly, it was from the heart.

Jesus sums it up by saying that this tax collector returned to his home with his prayer heard and answered. The other guy's prayer was just for show, so he got what he wanted, an audience with people. The teaching, Jesus said, if you lift your own self up, you will be humbled by God; but if you humble yourself before God, God will raise you up.

What we do and say in our relationship with God should come from and bless the heart, so that it can bless God. If we seek to do it for people's approval, we will have a very temporary reward. We should seek to do that which blesses others for God's sake, not ours; greater will be our reward in heaven.

PRAYER: Loving God, help me to have a right spirit before You. I stand in need of Your mercy always. Forgive me of my sins and help me to live a life that blesses You and Yours. This I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

----graphic above from agnusday.org.