Monday, September 14, 2015

Last of All; Servant of All

Image from graceintheworld.com

Mark 9:30-37 They went on from there and passed through Galilee. He did not want anyone to know it; for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, "The Son of Man is to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and three days after being killed, he will rise again." But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him. Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the way?" But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, "Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all." Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me."

Being a follower of Christ many times means our going against our human urges and impulses. Many seek to be first and to win at everything. And the Disciples were not exempt from that either. As Jesus is agonizing with sharing details of his upcoming suffering and death, He discovers the disciples arguing about who among them was the greatest. Can you imagine that conversation, being held in whispers bordering on yelling? "It's me! I walked on water!" Peter may have said. "No, it's me, Jesus called me first!" said another. "I keep the money!" Judas chimed in. "I run the fastest!" said John, "And He loves me more - I'm the beloved!" Jesus sits them down and says, "Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all." Ouch. So, it's not about being the greatest is it? Jesus is talking about all believers putting others first, and caring for one another. This is miles from what you hear children says as they learn to talk, "Mine!" Some also learn to run as they're desperately holding on to what someone else may want. And, speaking of children, Jesus takes a child and puts it among the disciples and easy, "Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me."

Our love for God is a love that should include all people and all of creation. Our love should be an active, working love, that seeks to please God and to bless those in need of blessings. Our love should be a welcoming love that welcomes the child and the childlike; all are welcome to the love of God. And as we welcome those, we are also welcoming Jesus, and as we welcome Jesus, we are welcoming God, who sent Jesus to us.

So, resolve today, to put God first, others second, and ourselves last. Jesus said we must be last of all, and servant of all. We're got work to do! Let's get busy!

PRAYER: LOVING God, help me to love You and Yours. Put me to work for Thy good; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde