Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Prophetic Word

Isaiah 50:4-9 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me.

Those who love and trust the Lord, can awaken each day and incline the ear to hear what God may be sharing. Such was the life and practice of the prophet Isaiah, who heard many a Messianic prophecies concerning the One who was to come. He knew the words from God would serve him as he served as a teacher. He knew that God would share with him words of encouragement to the weary. The prophet heard the word and shared it. And the word becomes that which describes how the Messiah was to react to the tribulation he would face; beatings, insults, the beard torn out, even spitting; all without fear of shame coming his way. Truly and fully trusting that God was the source of his help and strength.

We, too, have that source of hope and encouragement and we, too, can share that with those who are weary. It may come to us directly from inspiration from God or through time in prayer, or time spent reading the sacred word; as believers we are called to help sustain the weary. Seek to hear and seek to share.

PRAYER: Loving God, guide me to faithful listening and sharing. May I be the source of hope for those who are weary. This I pray in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde