Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Try Praying

Image from premiere.org.uk

It was the Lord who made it known to me, and I knew; then you showed me their evil deeds. But I was like a gentle lamb led to the slaughter. And I did not know it was against me that they devised schemes, saying, "Let us destroy the tree with its fruit, let us cut him off from the land of the living, so that his name will no longer be remembered!" But you, O Lord of hosts, who judge righteously, who try the heart and the mind, let me see your retribution upon them, for to you I have committed my cause. (Jeremiah 11:18-20)

The life of a believer is not easy. The life of a prophet was even harder. The Old Testament prophets were called on to preach things that went counter-culture. They shared words from the living God, not from the pages of People magazine. The word of God was a difficult one to share, and most people did not want to hear what God thought about their behavior. Try living a pleasure over purpose life, and see where you get. Try believing self-satisfaction over self-sacrifice. Try being god for you life. Most of the prophets had their lives threatened; all a foretaste of what Jesus would encounter, and a sampling for believers in our age. The prophet heard these people plotting against them, and it was God who shared these thoughts and words against the prophet. The prophet confesses he was like a gentle lamb being led to the slaughter, not knowing at first, that it was he whom they had plotted against. Their intent was simple: Destroy the tree with its fruit, and cut him off form the land of the living, so that his name will no longer be remembered. And what could the prophet do, but pray? What can we do as we face the challenges and enemies of our lives? Pray!

All the prophet knew to do was to commit himself to God through prayer. It was how he was called into prophetic ministry, and it was prayer that had sustained him thus far, and prayer would see him through even this. In the same way, think back to how prayer has gotten us through some tough times. Remember the faithfulness of God, and pray for His strength and peace as we face the things we may face. God will see us through if we have committed ourselves to God in and through prayer.

PRAYER: Loving God, You better than me, know what I am going through; strengthen and bless me, so that I may see beyond what I am seeing, to what You would have me see, and be. This I pray in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayers for the family of Mark Johnson of Refugio, Texas, who died this week at age 36. The cause of death is not yet known, but the pain of this unexpected death is present with his mother and father and younger brother. Thank you for holding this family in your prayers.