Monday, September 21, 2015

Play Well with Others!

Image from agnusday.com

John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us." But Jesus said, "Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward. "If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were hung around your neck and you were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life maimed than to have two hands and to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into hell. , And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into hell, where their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched. "For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good; but if salt has lost its saltiness, how can you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." (Mark 9:38-50)

Oops! Or as the young folk say, "My bad!" I shared next week's gospel lesson yesterday, and today I try to correct that error by sharing my thoughts on the right lesson for this coming Sunday. Please forgive me! I know those who may be relying on my thoughts for your sermon may have had mild heart attacks, but I prayed for you, so you're fine!

The first part of this passage has to do with brand. Jesus was the brand for the twelve and they identified with that brand. Jesus was known for miracles, feedings, teachings, unexplainable things, and the essence of God's love in all that He said and did. Jesus had power and the name of Jesus had power as the disciples discovered. "Teacher, we saw someone outside of the brand using your name to cast out demons! What's up with that?" Jesus calmly says, Play nice with others, especially those on the same team; he or she who uses my name to do something extraordinary won't soon be my enemy or speak bad of me. Even those who give you a drink of water because of my name will share in the reward reserved for those who believe in the name and person of Jesus.

Then Jesus speaks of self-control and what was expected of those who believe in Him: Don't be a stumbling block or place stumbling blocks on those who would follow me! Don't lose control of your actions; watch and control what your hands do. And watch where you go; don't lose control of your feet. And watch what your eyes see; don't let them wander off into areas where temptation is great. The passage speaks of cutting off hands and feet, and plucking out of eyes as a way to stress how serious this teaching was for Jesus. And He speaks plainly of "the other place" where those souls who are alienated from God will end up. Jesus wants us to live our lives as those who are salt; who add flavoring and insulation to mundane lives. Keep salt within you and be at peace with one another, Jesus says to close this passage.

As humans we find ourselves even it it's just mentally, competing with others, even other Christians. Jesus says this is not right nor expected. We also find ourselves sometimes doing, going, or seeing things we shouldn't. This is also not right nor expected of believers. And Jesus speaks of a real consequence for those who choose to disobey and alienate themselves away from God - that decision may be an eternal one. Seek self-control and seek the best for our inner, spiritual lives to be a blessing to others.

PRAYER: Loving God, guide my path to faithfulness. I seek to be Your positive flavor in the lives lived away from flavor; help me to go, do, and see what is Yours, rather than seeking only that which pleases me. This I pray in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde