Friday, March 04, 2016

Count Yourself Blessed!

Image from blogs.blueletterbible.org

Count yourself lucky, how happy you must be - you get a fresh start, your slate's wiped clean. Count yourself lucky - God holds nothing against you and you're holding nothing back from him. When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans. The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up.Then I let it all out; I said, "I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God." Suddenly the pressure was gone - my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared. These things add up. Every one of us needs to pray; when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts we'll be on high ground, untouched. God's my island hideaway, keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck. Let me give you some good advice; I'm looking you in the eye and giving it to you straight: "Don't be ornery like a horse or mule that needs bit and bridle to stay on track." God-defiers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around. Celebrate God. Sing together - everyone! All you honest hearts, raise the roof! (Psalm 32 The Message version)

A fresh start.  Who hasn't ever wanted one at one time or another?  That's what the psalmist is celebrating in today's psalm; God gave him a fresh start, with the slate wiped clean, as in all your sins are forgiven!  The language here is a bit more street-wise; Count yourself lucky!  And that works too.  God removed the weight of guilt and shame, and we can walk away lighter and freer, for we now have in God, a place to hide away.  We join the crowd of those whom David calls, "The God-affirmers," those who "find themselves loved every time they turn around."  So, we do as the psalmist says, we "celebrate God," and join the happy and thankful chorus of those who are truly starting new.

Let's raise the roof!

PRAYER:  Loving God, thank You for the fresh start You've given me.  I want to join those singing Your praises, for we are loved enough to the point where You have given us a new start.  Praised be Your Name!  I pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde