Monday, September 12, 2016

Money Can't Buy Me Love

Image from angusday.org

Jesus said to his disciples, "There was once a rich man who had a manager. He got reports that the manager had been taking advantage of his position by running up huge personal expenses. So he called him in and said, 'What's this I hear about you? You're fired. And I want a complete audit of your books.' "The manager said to himself, 'What am I going to do? I've lost my job as manager. I'm not strong enough for a laboring job, and I'm too proud to beg. . . . Ah, I've got a plan. Here's what I'll do . . . then when I'm turned out into the street, people will take me into their houses.' "Then he went at it. One after another, he called in the people who were in debt to his master. He said to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?'  "He replied, 'A hundred jugs of olive oil.' "The manager said, 'Here, take your bill, sit down here - quick now - write fifty.'  "To the next he said, 'And you, what do you owe?' "He answered, 'A hundred sacks of wheat.' "He said, 'Take your bill, write in eighty.'  "Now here's a surprise: The master praised the crooked manager! And why? Because he knew how to look after himself. Streetwise people are smarter in this regard than law-abiding citizens. They are on constant alert, looking for angles, surviving by their wits. I want you to be smart in the same way - but for what is right - using every adversity to stimulate you to creative survival, to concentrate your attention on the bare essentials, so you'll live, really live, and not complacently just get by on good behavior." Jesus went on to make these comments: If you're honest in small things, you'll be honest in big things;  If you're a crook in small things, you'll be a crook in big things.  If you're not honest in small jobs, who will put you in charge of the store?  No worker can serve two bosses: He'll either hate the first and love the second Or adore the first and despise the second. You can't serve both God and the Bank. (Luke 16:1-13)

This parable always confuses me; in fact so much so, that I decided to see what The Message version of the Bible says.  It is a bit clearer reading it in this modern paraphrase of The Bible.  Studying some commentary on the passage, one says the point is in verse 8 (Yes, you'll have to use your Bible at home/office to read this again!), and the application in verse 9.  Jesus is trying to prepare his followers for the future.  Jesus knew the way of the world in His times and things have not changed much.  Verse 8 above is the one which says, "Now here's a surprise: The master praised the crooked manager!  And why?  Because he knew how to look after himself.  Streetwise people are smarter in this regard than law-abiding citizens.  There are on constant alert, looking for angles, surviving by their wits."  That's the point of this story.  And the application is this:  "I want you to be smart in the same way - but for what is right - using every adversity to stimulate you to creative survival, to concentrate your attention on the bare essentials, so you'll live, really live, and not complacently just get by on good behavior."

The call is to be honest and to be ready.  Planning ahead for all things, especially the things of God is what blesses God, and in the long run, blesses you.  Ultimately, it is to know that the best work is the word done for God and not for money (or the bank); our love should be directly only at God, for God is whom we serve.

PRAYER:  Loving God, help me in my planning and in my day-to-day dealings.  I want to serve and love only You, and not material things.  Help me be right in my heart towards You today, so that as tomorrow comes I might be blessed by You.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde