Monday, September 05, 2016

Work and Labor are a Part of Life

Image from blog.homerbarrowortho.com

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, Col. 3:23 NIV

I thank God for most of the jobs I've had. I've learned from all of them and I'm grateful. I've had a job since I was 9 years old. Juan Chapa hired me, as he had my dad, to work in his store on Saturdays for $1.50. That was great money for a nine year old, and he kept me away from the slicing machine and sharp knives. He taught me a lot; and I learned to tithe starting with the .15¢ that belonged to God from that $1.50, thanks to my mother. Mostly from each job I learned that what my father told me constantly, "You have to go to college so that you won't have to work as hard as me." When he was a milkman I didn't buy that, for I thought that truly was the greatest job in the world. The smell in the creamery when they were making ice cream, the sound of a big truck with which to deliver both milk and ice cream, traveling the roads around Kingsville in that truck; it all added up to dream job. From there I went from making $1.50 a day to $1.25 an hour in Houston working in a rug company. We hand washed Persian rugs that were worth more than I've made in all jobs since then until now. We used toothbrushes, larger brushes, and we lugged those heavy rugs up to a room that had ceramic space heaters stacked three or four tall along all four walls where the rugs would dry. Sermons on hell came to mind every time I stepped into that room.

My hardest job was there summer making casings for huge fans, for these casings were made of fiberglass. Fiberglass was invented in the pits of hell by Satan himself, for it is a material that contains microscopic bits of glass that get into your skin and you itch like the worse disease you can get and not ten showers in one night can remove that itch from you. I was paid well but I left soon; I'd rather make less money and be able to sleep than to believe ants had taken over my bed.

We remember those jobs and those who have worked hard on our behalf. We are thankful that through them God has allowed us to receive that which has provided for our needs. I am thankful for the many jobs my Dad had before and after that dream job. I am thankful for my mother who during my lifetime never worked outside the home, but she did work very hard. I am thankful I married a woman who had her degree and was teaching when we married. Nellie never suffered lack of employment for in all the towns and cities we lived, God opened doors for her to teach. I am thankful that our four daughters are all gainfully employed and all with their degrees. And we await for the jobs that will come to our grandchildren. Our prayer is the same; that they value each job while striving to better themselves and attain whatever education and career they feel called to; and bring a blessing of positive transformation to the world.

Enjoy this day off, those who have it, but pray for those who work today to keep us safe, to keep us well, and to provide for us.

PRAYER: Dear Father, for the memories that have come to us for jobs past, we are thankful. For the current job and career we have, we are also thankful. We pray for those who work today and we pray you keep all safe today we enjoy a day of rest and who travel back to where they live, to start again tomorrow, with work you have provided. In Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed Laboy Day!

Eradio Valverde