Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Thankful the Me of Yesterday Stayed There

Image of Bruno Mars from brunomars.com

I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost.But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen. (1 Timothy 1:12-18)

Bruno Mars has played the halftime show of the Super Bowl, and he's a well known, Grammy Award winner.  And his picture appears here for those of you who may not know him and because I share the lyrics of one of his songs: "Oh, oh, oh I, I was a city boy, Riding to dangers where I'd always run a boy who had his fun; But I wouldn't have done all the things that I have done, If I knew one day you'd come."  Later he sings in the same song, "I wish I was seventeen so I could give you all the innocence that you give to me."

The "me" of yesterday was not at all like the me of today.  It's what Paul is saying, and it is what most of us sinners of the forgiven kind say to the Lord, along with "Thank You, thank You, thank You!"  Paul lists just some of his sins:  blasphemer, persecutor, a man of violence.  But notice, "But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of the Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus....Christ came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the foremost (chief)."  Paul uses that status as, as one version has it, "Chief among sinners" so that other sinners can see the love, patience and mercy of Jesus, so that they too can come to believe in Him for eternal life.

Is that you?  I try to show that the oldness and sinfulness of us can stay in the past, and the new journey, the best journey begins with us as new creatures, forgiven and made ready for the journey.  We cannot let the old "me" walk with us any more.  There's a world of lost sinners perhaps waiting for your example to convince them there is hope.

PRAYER;  Like Paul, dear Father, I thank You for not letting the me of yesterday be the me of today.  I sometimes feel like the chief of sinners but for the wrong reason; let it be that You have taken the chief of sinners and made me the chief example of what You are capable of; making us all new.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER UPDATE:  Our dear brother, Herman Gorena continues to linger with us and last night his wife asked that we pray for him to receive, in his words, "Peace and rest."  May it be so.